Mac Run Tires

I know the topic has been discussed before, just wondering what everyone is running these days for rear tires on granite. I have been running Dissectors and they have been good, but as with most they wear fast but that’s probably the case with all.

DHRIIs in MaxTerra compound. They wear fast, but it’s worth it. Better in the wet and on slippery roots than Dissectors too.

If you want something longer wearing and want to stick with Maxxis, the Aggressor is a good choice.

4 Likes

I run DHR11 rear in maxx terra and an DHF up front. Tannus liner in the rear

Depending on riding style and bike set up, I think a lighter tire like a forekaster or aspen would be rocket ship fast in their with a light liner. They do come with a bit of a mechanical risk though from my experience.

1 Like

I tried a Recon in there…lasted me 5 rides

2 Likes

Also on the FHR MaxGripp front and DHRII MaxTerra / Tannus insert rear and I’ve been pretty happy with it. I tend to run through at least a rear tire a season, but went through a DHRII MaxGripp much, much faster. I’m curious to see if I could stretch the wear on an Agressor a bit longer. I rode one of the old Forekasters a couple of years ago and had lots of flats and wasn’t a fan. Found it broke loose too easily and was prone to mechanical failure…maybe mostly related to my bigness.

2 Likes

After years on Maxxis, I have made a move over to the Schwable Magic Mary (F, Soft) and Hans Danpf (R, Speedgrip aka medium) and have been happy. I like the profiles and the grip seems good to me!

1 Like

I’m running the new Nobby Nics in the lighter Super Ground casing and the Soft compound. I’m getting surprisingly good life out of them.

1 Like

Spring/Fall I run a Spesh Butcher/Purgatory combo, summer I usually run a Aspen/Fastrac combo.
This year I have not run the Aspen/fastrac combo as its so wet all the damn time.

2 Likes

Last year i ran assegai up front and dissector in the back. The dissector lasted 2/3 of the season. The dissector was good for mac run but wasnt as grippy at ww or keppoch…

This year i have dhf/dhr combo with tannus in the back… no issues so far im happy with it. Just still tryint to find that sweet spot for air pressure so its smoother rolling and good on climbs but not bouncing off rocks and roots or creating drag

2 Likes

Assegai in the front and currently a DHR II in the back. Both Maxxterra as they last slightly longer than Maxxgrip. EXO casing in the front and EXO+ in the back now. I was running EXO in the back as i’ve never had any issues until I destroyed a sidewall at WW a few weeks back, so I went with the tougher casing out back but I wasn’t willing to pay the weight penalty for a DD casing. I have a Cushcore XC in the rear purely for protecting the carbon rim in case of an event like destroying a sidewall on Outer Limits at Wentworth and trying to limp back to the parking lot with a poorly plugged tire.

1 Like

I personally think the Assegai is way to much tire for FT/MRWA.

FWIW with respect to air pressure

I run 19 in the front and never change it based on conditions, between 23-27 rear based on conditions and tire wear.

CN

3 Likes

Meant to say im also ridint at railyard. Wentworth and keppoch. I drop the tire pressure a bit for those locations for better traction.

I run about 26-27 psi rear and 22-24 front. My riding weight is 220

1 Like

Dissector front, new gen Forekaster in the back with a tannus insert.
19psi in the front, 24psi in the back.

1 Like

I used to run DHF F & R and found that with the right tire pressure, I hot even wear on my rear tire and lasted me a year. I tried Assegais F & R, it was a struggle! Lol
Currently I’m running Specialized Butcher F and Eliminator R, both 2.6 wide. Quite satisfied with them specially since they’re tan walls and fairly cheap (Specialized usually has them on sale for 20-30% off)

1 Like

I switched to some of the new Conti tires this spring from a DHR/Assegia. Went with the Kryptotal F and Xynotal in the rear. They seem to be holding up pretty good so far. I did find I have to run a little lower psi in them though to get better grip

2 Likes

Lol off topic sorta but they sound like medication names

Kinda like medication for your soul.

I’ve found sturdy tread with a soft compound makes for a good tire on the granite. If the compound is too hard it doesn’t grip well or if the lugs aren’t sturdy they’ll rip off easily. I’ve had good luck with tires from maxxis (dhr ii, dhr), schwalbe (nobby nic trailstar) and specialized (pergatory and butcher).

1 Like

5 Likes

Strava users hate this one trick!

2 Likes

I know im new to riding mac run regularly but I run specialized ground controls with the light casing and they are really fast and knock on wood I haven’t had one Puncture yet