Magnetic pedals

Interesting!

2 Likes

Cool idea, although doesn’t banging around magnets demagnetize them? Maybe not great in the world of MTB…someone with more physics edjamakation will probably correct me.

2 Likes

Sounds like that could be valid, without any further knowledge into the science of it though I’m sure they’d certainly wear and experience fatigue in the strength of the magnetism.
I’m a pretty strict flat pedal guy, super pumped to try out my new Chromag Dagga. never wanted clips and no desire to try these either. :smile:
Curious what all the clipsters think of these though! Certainly one of the neater takes on keeping pedal contact

1 Like

I would most likely guess the whole point of a mag pedal would be to ensure your foot centering on the pedal at first stomp. If it was a strong enough magnet to actually use it as a clipless pedal you would never be able to get out of it.
Might be a great addition for some folks, always nice to know you are dead center on your pedal!

1 Like

They have been working great for people with mobility issues. A couple of people I work with who are casual community riders swear by them. It keeps their feet from falling off but is easy to get out of. Not sure how they would do for aggressive though if these people say they come off easy.

Jees - didnt even don on me that they would be awesome for that type of application :point_up:

Rare earth/neodymium magnets are pretty strong, but they are really brittle. One good rock hit and they would shatter. They would also pick up every little piece of metallic grit that got close to them. Some places that wouldn’t be an issue, but depending on soil composition, it could mean you constantly have to remove a bunch of grit from your pedals that doesn’t want to come off.