Mountain Bike Project

Hello, I am a member of an engineering class for my senior year of high school, and we are working on a year long project that involves innovating the standard bike pump. We hope you take our survey, as it will greatly benefit towards our research. Thank You!
Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/14CORINqeojor9u6iCqmZotrhg0fvsKuCtDCVzYBBRK4/

On the bike pump topic, what is everyone’s top priorities?

For me -
adaptable Presta/Shraeder head
ergonomics (good handle, able to generate good power)
rapid fillup
would be nice to have a gauge

I have four pumps - floor pump for home, floor pump for car, portable pump for mountain biking in camelback, portable pump mounted to road bike

My portable pump in my camelback is a Topeak Mountain Morph.

A cool pump with a foldout handle for good grip and power, and a fold out foot so it can be used like a floor pump. Main drawback - hose is very short.

1 Like

To add to @Rockhopper’s post: the head needs to work with both Presta and Schraeder without having to change anything.

5 Likes

My pump has both on the end of the hose, no need for adapters or change. Its like a single piece with both valves. Technically i could probably pump up a tube of each at a time

x 1,000,000

1 Like

Exactly. Blackburn Air Tower floor pumps “do this” but I find mine keeps getting worse with Presta valves.

I have an ancient Specialized pump with a head that fits both valve stems. This thing has been a great pump, although I’m sure the seals will eventually give up the ghost. The head’s getting a bit problematic when I have a deep rim and not much valve stem sticking out, but that’s mostly my fault.

I just want a floor pump that lasts more than a few years. I’ve had $30 pumps and $100 pumps…none of them have lasted more than 4-5 years without something crapping out. At least with the expensive ones they usually stand behind the product. A warranty replacement from Lezyne is on its way to me now.

1 Like