MRWA - Help Finish the Watershed Route

HELP FINISH THE WATERSHED ROUTE IN 2019!

The Watershed Route will be a 10km singletrack trail link from Spryfield to Herring Cove, paralleling the Run. The route will cross jack pine barrens and lush forests in the most remote parts of the Watershed, and includes a bridge across the Run. Halifax Transit has stops at both ends. Like all our singletrack, it will be built for mountain biking, hiking, running and snowshoeing.

For 2019, MRWA is raising funds to finish the Watershed Route by building two new singletrack trails, 6km in total: 1) an access trail starting near Herring Cove Road in central Spryfield, 2) a trail connecting Flat Lake Trail to West Pine Trail. The project will:

• complete a 10km long intermediate-level trail that crosses the most remote parts of the Watershed, and connects existing MRWA trail loops at both ends;
  • add a trailhead near central Spryfield, reducing congestion at other trailheads;
  • complete the ā€œbackboneā€ trail to the trail system, which enables next-phase trails of varying difficulties, linking to Fergusons Cove and other areas;
  • include overlooks of major wetlands, cross the historic ā€˜Old Military Roadā€™ route that once connected Spryfield to York Redoubt.

Building sustainable singletrack in the Watershed is hard work, and completing the Route is beyond what volunteers can do. The estimated project cost of $136,000 is a combination of materials, trail crew wages for handbuilt trail, and a contractor for machine-built sections of the new entrance.

MRWA has been approved for a grant of $40,000 from the Province of Nova Scotia that requires 2/3 matching funds, so every $100 donation leverages $50 from the Province. 150% of your donation goes to building trails!

Letā€™s make it happen! We can do it with your support.

To donate or become a sponsor, visit the McIntosh Run website.

9 Likes

this is awesome!

Iā€™m going to have to make a trip to the city sometime to check out these awesome trails.

2 Likes

They have these as well

https://www.cyclesmith.ca/sitesearch.cfm?search=Mcintosh+

2 Likes

Auction to become a trail sponsor:

1 Like

I made a donation the other day. I love these trails! I would spend $$ to ride them if they didnt exist, so I should spend $$ to ride them since they do exist!

8 Likes

Pretty good philosophy, @Djbrickhouse.

Oh and welcome to the site!

2 Likes

Got mine. Donā€™t have much time to volunteer for trail builds so I figure a trail pass and T-shirt are an annual requirement on my part.

9 Likes

Number 001!
Collectors item.

5 Likes

How much money did you guys get from demos today @Lawrence ?

1 Like

I see the link from the initial post is down. Can you check that?

Itā€™s not the linkā€¦itā€™s their website, which is currently down for some reason.

Sorry folks. The MRWA website is temporarily down. Seems we need to pay for more bandwidth than our inexpensive plan allowed for. Weā€™ll get it sorted.

2 Likes

Good problem to have, I guess.