MRWA Trail Build - Wed Aug 14th and Fri Aug 16th

Hello MRWA Volunteers!

We will have two trail building sessions this week, Wednesday and Friday 8:30 - 1:30. Join us to build a new trail that will provide an “intermediate” route on a particularly precipitous section of Flat Lake Trail. You don’t need to attend the entire session - come when you can, for as long as you can. All are welcome, no experience necessary.

We’ll meet at the “Spar” Trailhead on Mica Crescent (map) in the Governor’s Brook subdivision in Spryfield at 8:30. The hike in is about 40 minutes. Please wear sturdy shoes and work gloves and bring water. If you arrive late, take Spar all the way down to The Attic. Turn left and climb up to the ridge, following the blue paint. Turn left at the sign for Flat Lake Trail and follow it down the new switchbacks, over the wavy boardwalk, and keep going until you find us. The work location is about 10 minutes past the Flat Lake outflow crossing.

These trails are part of the McIntosh Run Trail System, an approved network of singletrack trails for non-motorized recreation on public land between Spryfield and Herring Cove.

Hope to see you out there!
MRWA Trails Committee

3 Likes

Interesting wording…

1 Like

You trail people are amazing! I wish I could have come to the last one or to these two events.

Is that a stock photo or a photo of the recent work done? Is that a new dirt ramp over a previously-rocky chute?

1 Like

That’s a recent photo taken Sunday around 1:00pm, after finishing the work. It’s a steep rolldown that many familiar with Lake Loop may recognize. There’s a massive rock under that pile of dirt/gravel that’s acting as the cornerstone for the ramp. The idea is to make the rolldown / climb more of an Intermediate feature. The intent was also to leave the steeper climb/descent for riders who enjoyed the harder challenge, though the ramp does spill over a tiny bit. I don’t think any of us will complain about having a slightly smoother transition at the bottom, though.

This is just a sample of the large amount of work done that day; it was a very productive session.

(From builder in the bottom-right in the white long-sleeve and black/red bucket hat. :wink: )

3 Likes

Maybe by precipitous they meant rainy… :grinning:

1 Like

Do you have the slow mo video of the massive rock placement?

I do, but it only shows slow-motion on the iPhone. I’ll try to edit tonight to send on to MRWA and post somewhere. :slight_smile:

Didn’t get a chance to add the slow-motion to the video, but here’s a couple of pictures and the real-time video. I haven’t sent these to @kaarin or @Lawrence yet though, so don’t tell them that you got to see it before them. :wink:

3 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

The slo-mo worked!

Awesome footage!!

1 Like

I always liked that roll/climb… but I guess it’s gotta be made more rider friendly for the less experienced.

1 Like

Yeah. It’s a main corridor to Nora Warren, though. So it is understandable.

Imagine taking novice riders through that.

1 Like

I’m sure there will be many opportunities for advanced lines that spur off the Duck to Flat / West Pine trail.

1 Like

@gtrguy: there is still the option for the harder line if you keep to the far left (climbing) or far right (descending), but with just the slightest improvement to smoothness.

@JeffV: it’s still meant to be intermediate trail, please don’t bring novices! :wink:

1 Like

For sure, I totally get it… I’m just being selfish LOL

There will be some fun, expert stuff built off of Schnitzel once the main connector trail is complete.

3 Likes

That’s cool to hear!

1 Like

I went for a ride the other day and found this location. I thought it was the chute above this one, which is much more gnarly.

1 Like

I spoke too soon. Was in there last night and see the higher chute has been done as well. Now fast!!

I look forward to Schnitzel expansion too!

1 Like