MTB Light Suggestion

Hi guys,

Looking to purchase a good set of lights for both road and trail use. I’ve been looking at the Lezyne Macro Drive 800xl… any experience with this light or any others you’d recommend?

Thanks

There’s a bit of discussion here about different ones a bit further down in the thread:

I actually have that exact light (a couple of them, actually) and find it great. Decent weight and good light. I tend to run mine in Overdrive mode only, so about 150 lumens from the helmet mount and bar mount is plenty for most of what I’m doing. If I feel I need extra light, a tap of the button brings 800 lumens.

If you’re in HRM, come out for a group ride sometime and I can lend you one of mine to try out.

2 Likes

I’m using an older Light and Motion HID helmet light. My wife uses a newer Light and Motion LED Stella 500. Light and Motion makes very good quality lights. Their lens and light patterns are very high quality, but are on the high end of light prices.

I bought a Planet Bike Blazer 500xl from MEC to use as a spare. Pretty inexpensive at $50. I’ve got little experience using it riding, as it’s mostly a spare. It looks to me like the light pattern is less uniform than the Light and Motion, with more dark and light spots, but the price is right.

Lezyne makes high quality stuff, so their lights might be good too, but they don’t specialize in lights.

The Chinese lights are cheap, but if you get one, don’t leave it alone when you charge it.

1 Like

Serfas just came out with a really nice new line of lights that are all self contained and range in output from like 400 lumens to 1100 lumens.

I have a serfas 1500 and it is a great light. Very bright and more importantly excellent battery life and burn rate