Myth: Wider (road) tires are slower

This isn’t about MTB tires, but I still thought it was interesting as an occasional roadie and frequent commuter.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-myths-in-cycling-1-wider-tires-are-slower/

8 Likes

I’ve got a buddy who is fully committed to 23mm tires. He also rides far less frequently than he used to because of hand pain due to road vibration. I tried to bring him over to the 28mm team, but he thinks wider tires sacrifice too much aerodynamically. He’s such a Fred.

2 Likes

The industry has seen sales of 20-23mm tires fall off a cliff in the past few years. 25 and 28 are the new normal for road bikes.
Disc equipped road bikes were a major catalyst to the change but for a period you could still only get training, touring or utility tires in the bigger sizes. Suppliers have responded by producing high end tires in bigger sizes, you can now get top tier race models like the Conti GP5000 or Vittoria Corsa up to 32mm.
The article is spot-on. I can’t imagine why someone would still run 20-23’s.
Q “How big a tire do I need?”
A “How big a tire will your bike fit?”

4 Likes

I tried to jam a rear 28 into my old Trek 2.1, and had to swap it onto the front. Rubbed the stays around every corner!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Fatbikes are the new road bike

1 Like

Been running 25’s for maybe ten years now, 23s seem anorexic now and I also remember 20s that came on a used bike I got decades ago, ugh.

Just uncovered some vittoria 28s that I hope to someday put on a second wheelset for the gravel bike for fall/winter rides.

1 Like

I think 28 - 32 is probably optimal for road. At 38 I notice (imagine?) a bit of a slow down

1 Like

I’ve been using 40s on my ‘gravel bike’ even on a lot of road rides. Super smooth ride especially paired with a steel frame and carbon fork/seatpost. I can’t keep up with those who ride the road regularly, but there are some superfit road riders…kudos to them!

If I plan to do a longer ride (80km+) or a gran fondo, I will switch to my other rims and tires which are 32s.

3 Likes