New Bell Helmet

So this helmet looks interesting. I didn’t take notice of the anticipated cost, but different twist on the idea of a removable chin section.

http://singletrackworld.com/2014/08/eurobike-2014-bell-super-2-r/

Very nice!

Love the flouro orange… :ugeek:

I’m on the fence. The helmet doesn’t meet any of the certifications for full face helmets that that worries me. But at the same time surly it must be better then no chin bar right? Or is it? Would the bar just snap off in a crash or hold up? For allot of the riding I like doing having a removable chin bar would be great if I knew I could trust it.

Bell if you read this, send me over two please one to test on trail and one for lab testing :slight_smile: It would be interesting to see how it fairs in a drop test.

I can’t imagine Bell putting out a product that doesn’t meet certain safety requirements but if thats the case, then they need to complete their due diligence before public liability becomes an issue…

Still a cool design though… i hope they can make it work.

There are similar motorcycle helmets. Analogously, most are only DOT, not Snell. They’re probably worse protection than a full face motorcycle helmet, but likewise surely they are better than open face. No helmet can protect you from every conceivable incident.

[quote=“BornAgainKen”]I can’t imagine Bell putting out a product that doesn’t meet certain safety requirements but if thats the case, then they need to complete their due diligence before public liability becomes an issue…

Still a cool design though… i hope they can make it work.[/quote]

From what I’ve read (on the internet so it could be full of lies) was that the helmet does not meet ant of the DH standards for full face helmets surly it would meet the regular open face standards thou.

I like the look and idea… the visor looks a little short to me but hard to tell without a hands on. Regarding the standards thing- my understanding is that no helmet with a removable chin guard can be certified… it disqualifies it from being rated regardless of how well the helmet is designed or even overdesigned. That’s one of the reasons the new version of the MET Parachute doesn’t have a removeable guard- so it could be (and is) DH certified. For it’s intended use- XC/all mountain/enduro/MTB/whatever I’m sure this one is fine… Bell know what they are doing when it comes to helmet design.

I’d use one for that one time a year I go to sugarloaf.

Looks like a neat idea to me too.

I’m guessing that is would cost 2x as much as a normal helmet.