NS to PEI via boat

Has anyone travelled to PEI with there bike secured to your car, and if so, what was your experience like. With the numerous stolen bike postings, it has raised some red flags. Maybe I’m being over-concerned, but wanted to see what other’s experiences were like.

I’m from PEI and travel back by the boat at least once a month and I’ve never had any issues since I started back biking a couple years ago. Mind you that’s when I was allowed to go home

Passengers dont have access to the vehicles during sailing. You park your vehicle on the lower deck, then you proceed up stairs to the viewing deck. When you dock on the other side you climb back down the stairs and get back in your car. I’d use the locking feature on my rack if it had one, but generally I’d feel the bike is pretty safe down there during a sailing.
If you have roof racks or any part of your vehicle is over 7’ you are considered a high vehicle and cant fit in certain spots of the boat. So its best to make a reservation.

4 Likes

Any extended time away from my bikes I use an additional U-lock to connect the 2 bikes together. If someone could brake the lock attached to the rack and remove from car they aren’t easily riding away al least. If your on a the ferry they would have to have power tools yo cut a U-lock and no one is that ballsy.

1 Like

Taken the ferry twice. Both times with a bike in a hitch rack. I use an additional cable lock along with the two cables on the rack. No issues at all. Like @JoshM said no passengers allowed where the cars are until the ferry is docked.

1 Like