Product Review: Dakine Nomad 18L Hydration Pack

I recently had to replace my hydration pack, and although It had served me well, there were a few things I felt it was lacking.

Enter the Dakine Nomad 18L Hydration Pack. Dakine has been in the game for quite a while and even though other companies may be more recognized, it’s hard to beat what the Nomad has to offer.

The first thing I noticed was the access to the pockets. It has a full zip with individual pouch areas that are also zippered to organize and store tools and whatever you want to carry. The main storage area is perfect for a jacket, or maybe a can of your favourite energy beer…supplement. It is more than large enough to carry everything you may need.

The Dakine Nomad has a glasses pocket that is felt lined to protect the specs. The very outside of the bag has been designed to carry either a full face helmet or an XC helmet. There are two small pockets on either side down low, perfect for keys, a phone, or your wallet. They allow for quick access for those items you want in a hurry.

There is a nice padded, sculpted back that reminds of the latest Batman costume, that offers airflow and comfort.

Just behind the padding is access to the water lung. No fussing with anything else you may be carrying, just unzip and presto, it’s there. It also means that if it does happen to leak, it has to get through a liner to get to anything in the main compartment. Very well thought out design overall.

The Nomad is comfortable to wear with small hip pads and looks great. I’m super impressed with this bag. The whole line of Dakine bags, especially the camera bags are very impressive.

2 Likes

Great review Mike! Looks like a great choice…

They make a builder pack as well that carries a chainsaw too.

That’s a neat idea, a glasses pocket. Good review.

Realized something else on my ride today. There is a magnet on the drinking tube so that it automatically goes back to the original position after you’ve taken a drink…very cool