Rear free hub replacement

This is the latest email ive recieved from giant on getting my free replaced. Comments, concerns, opinions?
As I said im pretty knew to breakdown maintenance so im not sure how much of a difference 5mm is on a wheel. I feel the best option is new wheel but should i be asking what quality wheel it is first? If i wait for free hub i feel my biking season is over lol

Iā€™ve been waiting since August for a new Replacement Hope Hub to come in stock. Hope nor the Hope distributor were willing to do anything for me other than make me wait for a new hub to arrive maybe next month. I had to go out and buy a new different brand hub to have my wheel rebuilt around. Itā€™s a barren wasteland out there for parts right now and no one seems to know if the orders that they placed with suppliers are even go to get fulfilled.
I realize this doesnā€™t help you, but I feel your pain. Iā€™m out a lot of money currently because Hope wasnā€™t offering to buy me a wheel or even pay for the rebuild. They will replace the part but rebuilding is an out of pocket expenses for me. I also bought a wheel as parts were so grim, I just lucked into finding the hub I got.
A 5mm narrower rim and centerlock adapter to be back on the trail in a week makes sense to me vs waiting who knows how long for the same wheel or parts. But thatā€™s just my opinion. I did what I had to do to get back on the trail.
This is not the year to be breaking stuff it seems.

2 Likes

Did your bike come with 2.4 or 2.5 width tires?

2.5s are not designed to run on anything less than 30mm internal width. A 2.4 would be a completely different shape on a 25mm vs 30mm rim.

25mm is essentially an xc wheel these days so also not sure it would be very strong.

Personally Iā€™d ask for the like for like replacement and get something to work in the meantime.

1 Like

That sucks! It is good of the dealership to go to bat for you and offer another solution as best they can. Perhaps you can offer to add money for an upgraded wheel if thatā€™s an option. Alternatively you could buy an upgraded hub and have the wheel built up, and maybe Giant will pitch in. I like the DT Swiss ratchetdrive technology. I feel grateful that a friend was selling wheels at an incredible deal when I broke mine and I was up and riding the next day. Good luck!

1 Like