Rear free hub replacement

Excuse my ignorance again lol but still pretty new to break down maintenance.
Last night on the group ride my rear free hub went. Wont catch just spins. I know its screwed my questions are
Should i contact giant and see if they stock these seeing how its a 2020 bike? Or is this something u should upgrade when they go?
Being a trance 3 and looking at the specs im guessing this is just an entry level hub.
Not looking to break the bank but i would go slight upgrade if not too expensive and its worth it anyways.
Heres the specs on my rear hub
Giant Performance Tracker, [R] Boost 12x148mm
Thanks in advance for any help

Definitely look into an upgrade

How long ago did you get the bike? That would be covered under warranty if you’ve had the bike less than a year.

If you wanted to upgrade to a better hub, that would require getting your wheel rebuilt, likely requiring new spokes (in short supply last I heard), unless the new hub had the same flange sizes (among other dimensions), plus the cost of the rebuild.

Replacing your current freehub will definitely be your cheapest option by far.

2 Likes

I ended up having to get a set of blank spokes cut/rolled to the right length by Velofix, so that’s at least an option. Sounds like trying to go for a warranty repair is the best first move, though.

2 Likes

Thanks man. Ill contact giant today

It may be possible to upgrade your free hub. Giant does not make their own hubs so it is likely a Formula or a DT Swiss but I’m not sure how you can find out. If it is a DT Swiss 370 you can upgrade it from a pawl system to their ratchet technology by replacing the drive ring and the free hub body and swapping the seal over. Here is a video on how it is done and what parts you will need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XpRZCLTX4

2 Likes

I’m 99% sure the Giant Tracker hubs are just re-badged Formula hubs, same as what originally came on my Trance. I also had the freehub go out on it, but it didn’t take too long to get it sorted through warranty, although that was in the pre-rona times.

2 Likes

I had read a lot of posts that this couldn’t be done because of the deal not fitting, but worked for him.

Have you done the conversion?

1 Like

Your best bet is the shop where you got it. If it’s not warranty they’ll at least have access to the Giant spares inventory.

1 Like

I just bought the bike in june so hopefully warranty covers it and ill worry about upgrading at another time

3 Likes

I have done the conversion. I had a 350 hub on a bike that I was selling so I swapped the parts. The seal doesn’t fit great but I take it apart regularly to clean and re-grease it. Ironically the 350 hub needed some modification to make the parts from the 370 work properly due to the slightly different spacing and spacers.

Worth the time money and effort? I rarely notice how slow the engagement is on the 3 pawl. I guess if I was climbing more hills or racing it’d bother me.

Just be sure to take it back to the shop you bought it from. Don’t worry about contacting Giant directly.

2 Likes

It’s possible you actually stripped the drive ring from the hub shell (I have done this to two Giant/formula hubs) hopefully not but it’s a full wheel rebuild to replace the hub if so. After doing this to 3 hubs on this bike I’ve gone to a DT350 to hopefully avoid this in the future. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks. Wheel is at giant now. They’re taking care of it through warranty. Tho with part shortages god knows when i get my wheel back

2 Likes

FYI, I had to replace the freehub on my giant a few weeks ago. They said it’d take the better part of a week, but was done in about 3 days. Hopefully yours is as fast!

2 Likes

I hope it’s just parts and they are readily available. I don’t want to spook you but I picked up warranty rebuilt wheel today that I dropped off two months ago.

Was it really two months ago that we all hit DM? Good lord.

Freehubs are no big deal to replace as long as the hub shell isn’t damaged. I usually break one every year or two. If the hub shell is damaged, then it’s a new hub and rebuild or new wheel.

Wheres the dislike button? Lol

2 Likes