Rigid forks

Well, I finally got a chance to give the fork a decent shakedown. It is awesome! It is a lot more lively, responsive and true to where it’s pointed. It’s not quite as rough as I would have imagined. Mind you, the J3 I had on before was pretty well rigid most of the time anyhow. There is no preloading before jumping or hopping, and as such it almost feels like a big BMX or something. The fat front tire helps quite a bit I’m sure, but I can’t see it keeping me from riding any of my usual trails. Some sections may end up being slower, but still rideable nontheless. It is exactly what I wanted and needed.
I think my smile will last longer than my headset though…

Well, I blew up a J3 on the last beginner ride, (surprise), and I am getting a rigid, I believe. Suspension corrected, chromo, butted, disc mounts. Anyone else ride one? I ride Whopper and Fight a fair bit. Can I look forward to a bent axle, oblong headtube and a snapped frame? Or just sore wrists. I used to ride real crappy ones back in the day, so I figure a decent one should be somewhat tolerable. I dunno, should be fun. No more hydros, no more springs. 15 gears away from the perfect bike…

Here’s a clicky… nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 … 000_201514

I may run a sick-fat tire on the front to compensate for the lack of boing. I have a Kinetic in 2.6 in the shed…

I had that same fork on my first 29er, it fit the 29er wheel perfectly. Even though it is chromo it is still pretty stiff and heavier than I thought it would be. I rode it for half a season and then bought a suspension fork as I found my riding buddies getting away on the downhills.

Put a fat tire on and run as low pressure as you can.

The surly 1x1 is 99.99 at Hub Cycle with disc mounts. If you want canti only its 79.99

Oh and it takes. 2.7’s.

I already have a Nashbar one on the way. We’ll see how it holds up when it gets here.

Fork is in! I will be getting it tomorrow after work. Then all I need is a derailleur, and I’m set to thrash it. And I better dig out that fat front tire soon!

Fork is in! I will be getting it tomorrow after work. Then all I need is a derailleur, and I’m set to thrash it. And I better dig out that fat front tire soon!
Project Devinci SS you know you wanna

Project Specialized SS :slight_smile: Its an 16 tooth. From pedaling around the yard, I think an 18 might be better, but have to ride it in the woods to know fer sure. I’m going to leave the front ring on, I figure it’ll add grip when it bites into logs i’m going over…

Rally_Kia - You get your fork on yet?

Nm, just saw that its not goin on till tomorraw.

Project Specialized SS :slight_smile: Its an 16 tooth. From pedaling around the yard, I think an 18 might be better,
18 would be a good all round gear…unless it is really flat

Well, the fork is now in my room, waiting to go on the bike. I was running 32 X 16 on my old GT Ruckess, which I dearly miss, and I rode Spider Lake, including Skull Trail, with no problem. Might be legs raised on a BMX, but the amount of riding you do Bignose should be just as helpful. You learn to mash AND spin on a SS.
I will keep everyone up to date on the fork.

OK kiddies. I have the fork installed on the bike, along with my fat Kinetic in 2.6’. Looks awesome. Only riding so far has been trackstanding in the kitchen and doing some trialsy-type hopping. Too cold, and I don’t want to get the floor wet when I come back in. I think it will be uber-gnar in the woods though. And it should really scoot along nice on the smooth stuff as well. Here’s the before…http://resource.pedaltrout.com/old_site_images/8af0418ee69cc2cea25f2df9fd39a5d3.jpg

And here’s the after…http://resource.pedaltrout.com/old_site_images/b5e151a4a106b0c07a67572bd1a5b859.jpg

I like that look.

out of curiousity, with taxes, duty and all that stuff how much did the fork come up to?

i’m wondering if a 59$ fork from nashbar, could cost me teh same as a 79$ one from Truro :slight_smile:

For two forks, after taxes, duty etc the total was 135ish. I bought them on sale.

Otherwise, the 79 plus tax from Truro would be a competitive price.

so you ordered one for rally kia and one for you? how do you like it?