Rubber mastic tape for chain stay protector? Where to buy

I have been using 3m paint protection film and it seems to work well

Lizard Skins for me.

I have one of those on my xc bike and did notice the fine grit from mud and whatnot gets through the neoprene and makes it like sand paper. MIght be worth a rinse every now and again

1 Like

I’ve had luck with this stuff on an old bike as well. Similar to mastic tape but not as wide.

1 Like

I’ve been using the old standby, hockey tape. Doesn’t really quiet things down but it stays on and now comes in all sorts of colours.

I ended up ordering some from ride wrap along with my… well… ride wrap, the rubber mastic tape is so much better then inner tubes and lizard skins, and any other combo I have personally used. Can cover places you can’t normally and has a super pro look. Definitely worth the $$$$ dead quiet too and lasts ages.

1 Like

The scotch 130c is available at home depot if anyone is looking.

This is the stuff I use on my chainstays, https://www.homedepot.ca/product/gardner-bender-tape-silicone-self-sealing-10-1-cd/1000104039

It self vulcanizes and stays put. Not as thick as the mastic tape, but you could do 2 layers.

Interesting, ever removed it? Does it come off clean or make a mess?

The 3m paint protection film works great, I know a guy who got me big pieces of it, but you can get kits at Crappy TIre for like door edges and what not that you could use in a pinch. Not the cheapest option as you made need more then one

ie. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/3m-door-edge-protection-film-2-pk-0419347p.html

It doesn’t have any adhesive,it only sticks to itself or other silicone rubbers so it comes off really clean. You need to stretch it as you wrap so it stays put, but it is easy to apply.

If you want a setup that works but doesn’t look great just use an inner tube wrapped around the chainstays. But if you want to retain the clean look of your bike and be able to protect every nook and cranny, use the mastic tape. I got some from ride wrap and has worked great! Worth the investment for sure. Chain is dead quiet and looks super clean. Just make sure you get it right because taking it off is PITA. I don’t have much bad to say about the mastic tape besides the price. Clear film doesn’t really do much and the inner tube looks DIY so I think I’m going to invest in a big roll of it just to have. Works great for cable rub and other noise too! So it’s super versatile.

That’s why I use a lizard skin…super easy velcro on/off. I’ve had a cracked chainstay before and wouldn’t want to find out about it the hard way, so I take the wrap off frequently to inspect the frame.

3 Likes