Rust inhibitor for steel frames?

Perhaps an outdated question, anyone have any experience/recommendations a rust inhibitor for steel frames? The two I’m thinking of are Frame Saver and Boeshield T9.

Depending on if you prefer a more waxy or oily coating (if that matters to you), I would recommend LPS1, 2, or 3 as potential alternatives. ACF-50 is another one that may work. I use them reasonably often at my job and they seem to work well.

1 Like

Not outdated at all. Last time I sprayed a steel frame I think I just used an off the shelf rust check type product from a local hardware store. Seemed to work well enough.

2 Likes

I’ve always used Frame Saver, though for a lack of knowing of better alternatives to boiled linseed oil (which is not ideal). I know at least one fairly prominent frame builder who has been around a long time, and uses it on all the steel frames he builds, which is probably a better endorsement.

1 Like

Rust Check. Cyclesmith has used it for decades (in bulk form, not the spray cans). Dunno if they still offer the service but that was what has been put in my steel frames)

2 Likes

cool thanks!

Do people use anything for alloy bikes? I know aluminum isn’t going to rust out like steel but just wondering if there is any protective advice for non-steel bikes being used through the winter.

1 Like

Muc Off just put out a product called HC - B1 which is used for all of the above.

1 Like

Not sure what the north american equivalent is but I used fisholene in my last steel frame. I didn’t worry about the paint but poured a bunch of fisholene inside the frame, sealed everything up and then spun it around a bit until I guessed there was a good coating inside. Seemed to work, I had a steel hardback for 6 years with no signs of rust.

Also, take a look at BB cups with storm drains. I think a few manufacturers are using them now. I used a Shockcraft one on my Handjob. I’ve got one of their screw-fit BBs in my Trance. The sides screw together to fit. The drains allow water to drain and dry from the frame. Another option is to drill your own drainage hole.

1 Like

Fish oil? I would have thought that an Australian rustproofing would be heavy on lanolin from sheep. Eg https://www.fluid-film.com/

1 Like

I thought about fluidfilm! However, the smell definitely gave me some wet sheep vibes-wasn’t sure if that would linger…thinking about hard riding every time I see a sheep (and vice versa) isn’t a Pavlovian response I want to develop…

Sheep sharers have the softest hands. Dunno if that is TMI or not.

Know a guy who had his truck undercoated with lanolin though.

NSFW, but:

4 Likes