Sealant!

What sealant is everyone using? I need to pick up more and wonder if there is any reason to try another brand besides Stan’s.

Whatcha got?

Muc Off

Works good, smells nice and is way easier to clean off a tire and rim them Stans.

3 Likes

I started using the new formula WPL sealant. I only started using it after hearing good feedback on the new stuff because the original formula was apparently less than stellar. Seems to work good. But I also only top my sealant up at the start of the season and never check on it again unless I change tires.

2 Likes

Stans for me. It just works. I’ve only had one large slash that hasn’t sealed. It even held a snake bite to get me down the trail last night.

I’ll argue that they are all pretty good. I’ve never had a sealant that hasn’t worked on a second thought.

2 Likes

I use stans, no issues.

1 Like

Stans. Readily available locally and no issues

1 Like

I also just use Stans. I don’t tend to get flats or punctures, but generally when I do, nothing will seal them, not plugs, not bacon, not sealant. Had an Assegai sidewall burp and roll sideways off the rim on an off camber drop landing. Tore a good size hole in the sidewall. Bacon held for the rest of the ride, but flat as a pancake the next morning. Tried filling the hole with a Stan’s Dart, that also failed. Sealant just poured out of it. So, that’s a tube-only tire now.

So, honestly I don’t know why I bother. I’ve never tried internal patches, that might help.

1 Like

I get a fair amount of weeping through the sidewalls over time with Stan’s. Curious to try Orange which I’ve read doesn’t do that.

1 Like

I am actually pretty surprised there hasn’t been a DYI formula for sealant “leaked” on the WWW over the years.

I’m 100% sure I have read threads on MTBR where people are making it. I remember people were adding glitter sometimes too.

Here is a quick example:
1 part Latex mold builder
1 part Slime tubeless
1 part cheap antifreeze
2 parts water

3 Likes

There is. It’s just not much savings to make.

Stan’s with a handful of glitter thrown in. I’ve tried Finish Line, Muc-Off, etc. but I always go back to Stan’s.

2 Likes

I have e-13 in my fat bike. Awesome! Am using muc off in my stumpy. Works very good.

1 Like