Shipping my bike to BC!

Hey folks,

I’ll be off to Penticton, BC later this summer. I’ll be flying out and want to have my bike available while I’m there to keep myself busy. Anyone got any advice on a service I can use? I thought about talking to my local shop (Frameworks in Sydney), but I’m not really sure that’s what they do. I’ll probably grab a box from them to pack mine in, but other than that I’m at a loss.

I’ve thought about FedEx/UPS or checking it as baggage with Air Canada.

Anyone got any advice or tips?

Edit: forgot to mention I’m meeting my wife and we’re driving back. The bike will not fit in the car and so will need to get home some alternative way. We’re there for 6+ weeks so renting would be too expensive

I’ve taken bikes to BC a few times now and have just checked them as oversize baggage and paid the oversize baggage fee which I think at the time was around $100. One lady at baggage one time didn’t want to deal with it and just let the bike go as a normal bag and didn’t charge me oversized, but that was just luck of the draw with an early flight. I’ve used both bike boxes and an EVOC bag and actually preferred the cardboard bike box.

I just sold a bike and shipping quotes from Fedex/ UPS/ and Puro were all over $400, and that is just for 1 way. I ended up shipping it as freight, but it took almost a month to arrive.

Most bike shops will pack your bike up for you for a fee as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, the way you have to break a bike down for an EVOC style bag is way more effort than putting it in a bike box. But, if you’re having to move the bike through an airport/customs etc, the EVOC bag is way easier to deal with.

Last time I used one to go to Moab, a lady at Pearson thought we were professional riders because of the size of the bag. Not sure how many mostly grey haired, 40+, beer drinking bike pros there are out there, but thanks for the ego boost, lady.

11 Likes

I used an EVOC bag in November to fly to Arizona and back. Id recommend packing it light since it was under their weight for oversized bags so I just paid normal checked bag rates. I’ve never used a bike box but I found the EVOC bag easy to use and super convenient for rolling through airports.

3 Likes

I’ve had zero issues with a bike box… but if you want to use an Evoc bag, The Bike Monkey might actually rent them if I remember correctly.

1 Like