Smelly riding shoes

Anybody ever try putting 5-10’s in the washer? Or have any suggestions?
The wife’s starting to hate my riding gear as much as my hockey gear lol

Spray and deoderizer balls.

2 Likes

Baking soda under your insole.

2 Likes

In the process of trying this one. Ive also read freezing them and then sun dry

I make a spray using 10-20 drops Tea Tree Oil + a few drops lemon/grapefruit/other oil mixed with a few cups filtered water and it works pretty damn well. Spray inside after each ride & take out the insoles if they’re removable to let everything dry.

3 Likes

MEC has a bunch of odor-eliminating products:
The first one is the only I’ve tried, and it works OK, but I haven’t tried it on shoes - just my camelbak, which gets quite vinegary - Gear Aid ReviveX Odor Eliminator 59ml | MEC
Granger's G-Max Odour Eliminator Spray | MEC
2Toms Stink Free Spray 237ml | MEC
No Sweat Fragrance Free Sports Wash | MEC

1 Like

@DEBO all of my bike gear (and my son’s hockey gear) get laid out in front of the dehumidifier after every use. It definitely keeps the odour to a minimum.

P.S. Wouldn’t recommend putting 5-10s in the washer, but every piece of your hockey gear (except helmet and skates of course) can go through the wash and then air dried.

2 Likes

I treat my cycling shoes as I do my running shoes. Fresh socks every time I slip my feet in. Often the smell comes from bacteria, damp sweaty shoes will do that. Like Derek mentioned a dehumidifier to help dry them out after every ride. I use a fan or put my shoes in the warm furnace room. Anything you can do to minimize that will help tremendously.

I also have this stuff but rarely use it.

1 Like

Yeh usually i dry them after every ride but i forgot them on the deck once and had some rain over night. Still used them when not completely dry and havent been the same since.
Thanks for all the reccomendations fellas. I have to be able to conquer this smell with one of these ideas or a couple lol

1 Like

once the shoe gets soaked, they will never smell the same. Its the glue that stinks, it gets through all the fabric.
:frowning:

1 Like