So when can we do this at Martock?

Check out this insane downhill race. 2000 ft vertical drop over a 32 km course in less than an hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaMIGX_1ODc)

Wentworth would probably be better for this…more elevation and longer trails. Either way insurance/liability would probably kill it.

Actually now that I think about it Keppoch might be the best, big hill, bike friendly. Maybe insurance isn’t such a big deal, really I comes down to someone willing to organize and finance it.

We ran a winter DH in December at The Gorge in Kentville, missed the good snow by about a day or two but it was still really fun. We ended up heading to the local rink and brining in a truck load of rink shavings to lay down some snowy sections on the trail. It was fun!

We’ll be doing it again next december and if all goes well we’ll snow down on the full track.

They did a winter bikercross race a few years ago at martock, was a hoot to watch and I think everyone had a lot of fun. I do believe it was before the change in ownership or soon after, before the drama happened that led to no bikes being allowed.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but that raises a question for me.

I moved to the area only a year or so ago and just got an off-road-ish bike last fall.
I found a service road that runs up Martock and use it occasionally for climb training.

How much of a no-no might that be? Are they sensitive to bikes on the service road?

[quote=“Maritimer”]Sorry for the thread hijack, but that raises a question for me.

I moved to the area only a year or so ago and just got an off-road-ish bike last fall.
I found a service road that runs up Martock and use it occasionally for climb training.

How much of a no-no might that be? Are they sensitive to bikes on the service road?[/quote]

I don’t know what the rules are now but I remember back when bike races were there we were not allowed on the service road to the right unless it was race day or some agreed to pre-ride.

yup… if it’s the same road, on the right hand side looking up the hill, it’s not on Martock property and there were landowner issues with access. Don’t know what the situation is like now.

[quote=“Maritimer”]Sorry for the thread hijack, but that raises a question for me.

How much of a no-no might that be? Are they sensitive to bikes on the service road?[/quote]

I would say that whole area is a no go zone, and people using it now could possibly damage the possibility for access at a later date. There are a couple other places In the area to ride without riding in the one area that is “closed”

There are some roads/limited singletrack at the end of Eldridge road in Lower Falmouth, and if you head out Chester road past Martock a couple Km there are service roads up the hill where the hydro power dam is that seem to be OK to ride on, it is a loop and quite a bit longer than riding the Martock road.

[quote=“Slider”]

I would say that whole area is a no go zone, and people using it now could possibly damage the possibility for access at a later date. There are a couple other places In the area to ride without riding in the one area that is “closed”

There are some roads/limited singletrack at the end of Eldridge road in Lower Falmouth, and if you head out Chester road past Martock a couple Km there are service roads up the hill where the hydro power dam is that seem to be OK to ride on, it is a loop and quite a bit longer than riding the Martock road.[/quote]

Hey, that’s cool with me…and I definitely don’t want to urinate in anyone’s breakfast. I’m just looking for some good long steep vertical. I’ll end the thread hijack and inquire in another thread.

Thanks
Alan