Spectacular Spectacles aka. Winter Riding Eyewear

There’s two ways to do Oakley prescription sunnies. One is if you have a pair of their basic RX frames, just about any optician should be able to have a lens made for that. But, if you want the full boat sport sunglasses, you’ve gotta get them via an Oakley dealer, and they are made by Oakley and shipped back to the dealer. Anything with complex curves cannot be done by anyone but Oakley. I have a set of Half Jackets with RX lenses. My last set of custom lenses for them cost $550, and I put them into the HJ frame I already owned. One thing to note–most of the Prizm Trail lenses work really well, but they simply aren’t dark enough for me, so I went with the Prizm Golf.

They are very much worth it, however.

2 Likes

Oakley Crosslink Pitch are my dedicated biking glasses. I’ve been wearing the same pair for about 5 years with zero issues or complaints.

3 Likes

That explains why I came across Jeff on his hands and knees on the side of the trail in the middle of an enduro race run…looking for his $500 lenses!

3 Likes

Yeah, and I didn’t find it until after the four race stages! Glad I did find it eventually however.

2 Likes

Not the coolest purchase-until it totally is.

Would not have helped me at all. My face hit the ground in that crash, while wearing a full face and the lens flew out of the frame and got lost in a pile of autumn leaves. Keeping the frames on my face was not the problem.

2 Likes

Ouch! Fair enough!

1 Like

I’m old enough to remember when having croakies on your Oakley Frogskins was cool!

My issue isn’t glasses coming off, it’s falling on them too…

2 Likes

Yep, I went with prescription Prizim Jade lenses on my sunglasses. They were super expensive, I think it was around $700 all up with frames at cost! I had the option for generic sunglass lenses , but the price isn’t that much cheaper and I wanted Prizim lenses.

I have Prizim Trail lenses on my Jaw Breaker. While they are awesome in the right light and trail conditions I find I ended up using the Photocromic lens instead for most rides. When I got them I was riding a lot more wide open hills on dirt trails so they suited at the time.

1 Like

There was a long thread sometime this year on this. Might be able to dig it up with some searching.

I’m wearing Pit Vipers because the price was right on sale, and they make me look like an idiot.

So win/win really.

In all honesty they are really good for biking, come with polarized lenses and I dont care too much if they get damaged at under $80.

1 Like

@streetgang gave me an Oakley demo last week. I liked the Sutros so much that I ordered a pair when I got home. Thanks T!

6 Likes

Sutro Lite to be exact. Well done, enioy.

4 Likes

With Prizm Trail lenses!

4 Likes

Let me know how that prizm trail lens is! I want something that fits me better for riding than my old M-frames that I scooped from an @streetgang sample sale back in the day that are now in pretty tough shape.

1 Like

Prizm trail is the best all around lens out there from what I have tried.
I am impressed with my POC Aspire as well but they really only shine in open terrain when its light. The Prizm seems to adapt to every light condition there is.

3 Likes

I have a pair of Prizm Trail lenses for Half Jacket frames if anyone wants them. Used twice when I was experimenting with contacts, perfect condition. $50.

1 Like

I’ve tried and tried but just cannot wear eye wear while mountain biking. The constant in too much darkness, then out again, then the constant fogging on climbs or while re-grouping. I even have the Oakley glasses with the little thing you flip down to move the lens from your face. I even have some Oakley Fast Jackets with $400(years ago) prescription lenses but mostly used them for driving trucks or road riding. The prescription was never as good as regular “cheap” eye wear. I’d find it easier to pick mud from my eyes once in a while. Hopefully I don’t get impaled by a stick.

1 Like

Prizm lenses are hands down the best optics going. I remember being skeptical on all the hype, thinking I’ll stick with my old eyewear. Comparing them to other high quality optics is like comparing a 4k TV to an old VHS recording.

2 Likes

They were great today. I’ve been using the Prizm road and Prizm polarized lenses for a couple of years, but this is my first time using the Prizm trail lenses. The have good light transmission, cut the snow glare well, and everything seems to pop which aids in depth perception. I really.like them.

6 Likes