Spring Trail Building

We’re getting closer to the Spring Trail Building season. As more snow melts, yet the ability to see lines through the woods is soon upon us.

Any plans to fix certain trails in your area? Post up your trail building days and hopefully we can get a bunch of folks out there improving our trails. There are a lot of trails out there, and they all need to be maintained.

Where are you planning on building/maintaining this year?

My wish list (if I can find the time):

Another bridge to replace on whopper lake loop. (this is a closer one that spans a shallow rocky stream)
Fix a wet spot on start of flipside. It just needs better drainage I think.
Fix descent ladder on flipside obstacle that rotted. (7’ x 32")

I’ve always wondered if a trail could be split off flip side that would exit onto rails to trails near timberlea.

I’ve always thought whopper is an awesome trail system and its future will be closer to suzies and close to either side of power lines.

Three big projects this year…

1. Finish building the 5 low bridges on the new Deer Leg trail. Lumber is already on site just need to get 'er done. Also needs a couple small land bridges built as well…

2. Build a 35’ clear span bridge across the river at the bottom of the Ledge Trail… major engineering on this one and will need quite a few bodies to pull it off. A second one will be built across the same river at the bottom of the Waterfall trail if all goes well.

3. Begin work on the Genesis and WaterFall trails that will run from the overpass at the airport to the trail head at Grant Rd. One of the cool features of this trail will be a bridge that crosses a stream in front of a beautiful waterfall.

That should keep me busy for this coming year… I should be good for lumber although I may have to wrangle a few more 2x4’s before the season is done.

I have my little XC loop out here in Sackville to finish up a bit more. Also, Phase Two off of that will be a fun but more challenging out-and-back similar to Skull Trail in Spider Lake, including a loop on the end that goes around a peninsula. It will involve a bridge, some fairly involved rock work, and at least one re-route around a constantly wet spot. Sure to be a blast, though.

I had my favorite trail gnome out to help drain a soggy spot on flip side.

Wow sounds awesome Ken!

[quote=“BornAgainKen”]Three big projects this year…

1. Finish building the 5 low bridges on the new Deer Leg trail. Lumber is already on site just need to get 'er done. Also needs a couple small land bridges built as well…

2. Build a 35’ clear span bridge across the river at the bottom of the Ledge Trail… major engineering on this one and will need quite a few bodies to pull it off. A second one will be built across the same river at the bottom of the Waterfall trail if all goes well.

3. Begin work on the Genesis and WaterFall trails that will run from the overpass at the airport to the trail head at Grant Rd. One of the cool features of this trail will be a bridge that crosses a stream in front of a beautiful waterfall.

That should keep me busy for this coming year… I should be good for lumber although I may have to wrangle a few more 2x4’s before the season is done.[/quote]

I have oodles of stuff to do :slight_smile: