STOLEN - Beloved Hardtail (Downtown Halifax)

Hi all - longtime ECMTB reader, trail supporter and MTBer in Atlantic Canada here, but unfortunately I am finally creating an account and my first post due to unfortunate circumstances. My beloved hardtail Kona Kahuna was stolen from my parking garage’s basement, sometime between yesterday at 5:30pm and mid-day today. I had it locked to a metal rack in a key-entry location - the thieves came in with crowbars and stole other tenants’ belongings as well.

I’m slightly hopeful because it’s quite a unique bike in terms of replacement parts, and given the success story from the other (much nicer) ride that was recently reported stolen on this forum. My supers are reviewing security cam footage and have contacted the police - apparently the perps are known to them. I’m rattled and frankly quite devastated - lots of both financial and sentimental value tied to it. Any help that you may be able to offer is greatly appreciated (pawn shops to contact? How best to work with police?). Thank you all so much in advance.

Additional identifying features/specs:

• 2021 Kona Kahuna frame, metallic blue paint, silver lettering, black decals
  • Fitted w/RockShox 30 Gold + remote lockout
  • Red Deity composite pedals
  • Red bar caps + chainstay tape
  • Front tire Mavic Crossride, rear tire Kenda Nevegal
1 Like

shared on Instagram. Hope you can get it back.

Thanks so much, really appreciate it!

1 Like

Shitty, I had a bike stolen once and it sucks.

Carpet bomb social media, (Facebook, insta, Twitter) make it shareable, and share the link here so we can also share it.
Put ads on Kijiji, FB market place and pinkbike.

2 Likes

Thanks @Nige for these great suggestions, currently working on a few but will add the others to my list! Here’s an FB post from my profile page, should be shareable.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217113208016712&set=a.1788199319145

3 Likes

Pretty sure this strategy was advised against before, as it drives thieves underground. People still try to pawn bikes at Bike Pedaler so notify @MarcRickard perhaps?

@IanM_MTB Thanks so much! Interesting point - I’ve made a few general social media posts but have held off on posting to Kijiji/FB marketplace for the time being (just looking through recent posts), thinking of the reason you mentioned. I’ve notified a few shops but only found out about the theft late afternoon today, so will make a few calls tomorrow (Bike Pedaler included).

UPDATE: police have recovered the stolen bike and I am picking it up tomorrow! A combination of security camera footage and prompt reporting and search efforts by our supers and other tenants who had items taken/damaged. A huge thank you to everyone who viewed/replied/shared my posts! What a community - see you out on the trails!

32 Likes

Awesome news!

1 Like

That’s a relief!

1 Like

FANTASTIC! :partying_face:

That’s great news