The State of Airports

Hey, has anyone flown with this bike in the last few months, or checked bags, for that matter? How about layovers where you have to re-check bikes/bags?

Doing a trip later this year and am torn about whether to box up the bike or rent a bike there. I have a bike box already, but also found a great weekly deal on MTB rentals which might simplify things.

I’d have to re-check during a layover with two separate airlines (a long layover, but still).

Thanks in advance!

I’d say rent. Not heard much good about stuff making it back lately. My partner travelled 2x and both times she was missing luggage.

4 Likes

Yup- rent. The airports are a mess right now with everyone wanting to fly and airports and airlines short on staff. It’s a clusterfuck out there.

2 Likes

Saw someone that recently went to Italy and didn’t receive their luggage until day 5 of their trip.

2 Likes

Depends where/which airline. I personally would risk it to have my own bike, worst that happens is you loose it and rent while you wait.

Pack stuff like shoes/pedals and highly personalized items in your carry on.

2 Likes

Had a fellow visiting on a work trip last week. Had to buy new clothes, lol.

1 Like

I currently have my bike with me in Alberta. Direct Halifax to Edmonton / Edmonton to Halifax flights though, so low risk.

If your stuff gets lost for over 24 hours on your outbound flight, check what insurance your credit card provides. I can buy $500 worth of stuff in that situation.

3 Likes

I had no issues getting my bike to and from BC last month, but my luggage didn’t make my transfer in Toronto on the way home and was delivered to me the next day because of a last-minute flight cancellation and an unexpected 12-hour layover. Seems like it’s a roll of the dice, but I would be tempted to just bring my shoes/pedals/etc next time and rent a bike. Also saves the wear and tear on your own bike if you’re maybe riding burlier terrain then out here, and you maybe get the chance to try something with more travel.

On the other hand, I also agree with @Enduro_Performance. Having your own bike that’s already set up and ready to rip is sweet.

1 Like

My sister just flew to Germany with her bike and it arrived no problem.

3 Likes

I’ve flown quite a bit and have had very few issues, usually flying with Air Canada or a Star Alliance airline when it’s an option. I’ve never flown with a bike but I always have two checked bags with one of them full of tools at almost 70lbs.

A couple times my bags didn’t arrive home until the following day, but Air Canada has always had them delivered to me fairly quickly. Once my clothes suitcase didn’t make it to my destination and I had to buy some clothes and toiletries to hold me over until it was delivered. I submitted a claim with Air Canada and submitted my receipts and they sent me an EMT for the full amount I had spent.

Make sure you bring a change of clothes in your carry on and whatever else you don’t want to be without for a day or two incase something does happen.

Long flight delays is a whole other very long story.

3 Likes

I never check bags, too many bad experiences. I would rent myself. I only ever travel with a carry on but thats sufficient for a week.

1 Like

If it’s domestic and you are avoiding the major airports with direct, nonstop flights, take your bike.
If you have connecting flights,are travelling outside Canada or are passing through any of the major airports. Rent.

9 Likes

I flew with my bike to Arizona last November without a problem. I didn’t pack anything with my bike so it could easily be opened up and examined. It was packed in an EVOC bike bag (which i have available for rent now). I Only ever paid the additional baggage fee (no extra sporting equipment fee, or oversized bag fee).

1 Like

Thanks so much, everyone! It’s looking like renting is the way to go. Great excuse to check out a local Victoria bike shop, too.

:facepunch:

2 Likes