Thoughts/Opinions on the GoPro Hero 8 Black

Thinking of buying 1 or 2 GoPro Hero 8 Blacks while I’m out in Calgary later this month. What are people’s thoughts on them? I’ve seen mixed reviews for them on the internet but I wanted to see what you all thought about them. Thanks!

I have a Hero 8 that I’ve had for a couple of years. I really like it. The Hypersmooth image stabilization works really well for trail riding - I don’t find the need for a gimbal. The only thing about Hypersmooth is that if you hit a jump or drop, it smooths everything out so it looks less dramatic. One concern about the Hero 8 is that the lens isn’t replaceable - destroy the lens and you destroy the camera. With a Gopro subscription there is a no-questions-asked camera replacement, which I would recommend. I put a lens-protector on my lens and haven’t destroyed it yet. Gopro 9 and 10 do have replaceable lenses. I don’t know anything about the 11.

I’d wager most negative reviews of any action cam stem from using them right out of the box. A few minor tweaks to the presets can completely transform your audio and video for the better.

I use the settings in these Loam Ranger vids on my Hero 9 and it makes a world of difference.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it! One more question, does anyone shoot mtb content for both Youtube and Instagram? I wan to start posting some of the content I have from my GoPro on both platforms, but I don’t want to have to use two cameras or only film content for Youtube one ride and Instagram on others. Any advice?

I usually just use the same footage for both

Both have different needs so you need to edit your videos according. Instagram is shorter, and has the weird portrait style aspect ratio, so you need to cut the sides off for Insta, which takes some editing time. I use Adobe Premiere Pro. You can flip the GoPro for Insta, but then you’re left with garbage for Youtube and moral complications.

True good points. I think I’ll start with landscape and just edit it for now and see where that takes me. Thanks!

What are the moral complications?

1 Like

Vertical Video Syndrome A PSA (Glove and Boots) - YouTube vertical video syndrome.

I’d rather buy a Hero 7 or a Hero 9 than an 8. Lens are replaceable than on the Hero 8.

And I’ve had the 7, 8, 9, 10n and Max lol

Ah yes, of course. I don’t think I bother to upload the majority of my GoPro stuff to insta and have my phone set to 1:1.