Tires

I know this has been discussed before but last thread I see is 2019…What’s the new hotness in trail tires?

It really comes down to what kind of riding you’re doing, to be completely honest! For XC riding, I find having a less aggressive knobbed tyre works best for speed/less rolling resistance… more aggressive you ride the higher ramped side knobs for better cornering etc… There’s a fair amount of youtube videos on this to research.
I might try Good Year tyres this year or next, but I’m really enjoying my Schwalbe’s at 29x2.35’s. Good luck and happy trails!

2 Likes

I’ve been running 2.4” Pirelli Scorpions. They’re a little wider than I’d typically run on a HT XC bike, but there was a limit of options. Turns out, they’re awesome!

1 Like

Been with Minion DHF for years and never had any issues… sure there are probably more faster rolling tires for around here but the weight durability traction rolling balance seems good to me…

2 Likes

My new bike came with maxxis high rollers… they’re definitely fast rolling, but maybe not quite enough grip. Probably get the minions after these wear out

1 Like

I shifted from 2.4 DHF/DHRII to 2.5 Assegai/Aggressor WTs and much happier with the improved cornering up front and faster rolling rear.

2 Likes

DHF front and rear?

I ran dual 29x2.35 Schwalbe Magic Mary’s for a handful of seasons and loved them. I tried both the Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf in the rear paired with the front MM, but they wore out too fast.

Last year I ran a 29x 2.5 Assegai up front and a 29x2.35 highroller 2 in the rear, it wasn’t a terrible combo. Depending on what I can get my hands on this year I am going to run a 2.5 Assegai up front again and either a 2.3 DHF or a 2.4 DHR in the rear.

Both the Assegai and MM offer endless front end grip even after a season of use. I’m less picky about rear tires as they are jsut along for the ride so all I really want is decent tread wear. I also run my tires to basically the threads, tires are expensive so I want to get my monies worth! I had to pull the highroller 2 off the back and put an old MM on to finish the fall out because the highroller was so worn it was slipping on dry granite climbs.

1 Like

I run a 2.6 DHF 120 tpi in the front which I absolutely love and a 2.5 Aggressor in the rear. Absolutely phenomenal traction, rolls reasonably quick for such wide rubber. My Aggressor wore out in late fall, and I threw a HR2 2.5 on the back. It’s fine in corners, but the knobs are too small and widely spaced and they squirm and wear down quickly.

I haven’t tried Schwalbe, Conti or Vittoria tires in a few years, but I’ve never found any of them to measure up to Maxxis.

6 Likes

Currently on an Assegai 2.5 fr and DHR2 2.5 rr. absolutely love them so far. @brightwhite mentioned the 120tpi casing, I’ve found I really notice a difference in the casing having had the nicer ones now.

3 Likes

It’s got a nice suppleness.

I wish the Aggressor had more width and casing options.

1 Like

Schwalbe Racing Ralph on the 29er (bought 4 or 5 years ago) and Geax/Vittoria AKA on the 26" bikes.

Yup…

I switched my rear tire from a Maxxis Agressor to a Maxxis Dissector this spring and I kinda regret it. The Dissector might be a good tire for hard pack or loose over hard, but its definitely not a good tire for Halifax granite and roots. Assegai up front all the time though.

3 Likes

Maxxis Ikon in the rear, Nobby Nic in the front… Basically what I could find in stock in local bike shops in 26" this summer but were a significant upgrade from the stock 13 year old mostly worn out Fast traks on my bike. With a 29er on the way, will likely have more variety to choose from once the stock tires wear out (Rekon Race) and will look to try the Schwalbe Racing Ralph/Ray combo as well as the Continental Raceking/Crossking combo and the Vittoria Mezcal/Barzo combo. Given how things are, what I end up trying first will likely be determined by what is available through the local shops.

1 Like

Take a hard pass on those Racing Ralph’s. I got a set that are like plastic. These things slide on the granite.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried the Forekaster and the Rekon?

I was running the Forekaster front and rear on my hardtail. Its a fast rolling tire that was great on Ontario hardback trails, but the small knobs struggle in loam and they break away too easily on granite.

I’m running a Rekon in 2.8 with an EXO+ casing on my hardtail and that tire is great for trail riding. It rolls fast, and has decent traction on granite and roots. I’m not sure how it would be in a narrower width though.

1 Like

@Enduro_Performance was experimenting with Forekasters this summer until a particularly nasty crash caused him to reevaluate his life and tire choices.

5 Likes

Have a couple of forecasters that came on my giant… fast and light but put a hole through the casing on them which I haven’t done with any other tires… so added 150g and went back to the DHFs. Probably a great tire for smoother less aggressive trails.

1 Like

I got a set of recons for my 27.5+ but haven’t tried them yet. If I don’t sell it ill try then soon