To mips or not to mips?

Looking at getting a new bucket. Trying to stay under $150. Any recommendations? Also whats everyone think of mips? Worth it? Notice much of a difference when riding?
Seems like its kind of standard in most helmets now anyways tho.

2 Likes

I got a giro compound mips. Believe it was around $80. No complaints at all. Id say you cant go wrong with spending the extra couple of dollars on a brain bucket.

I don’t think you’ll notice any difference between a MIPS and non-MIPS helmet as far as fit goes. Hopefully you never have to experience first hand if it does offer any benefits, but when I was helmet shopping I figured I’d spend the little bit extra on a MIPS helmet for the potential added safety. I went with a Bell Sixer helmet and I am very happy with it, however helmet fit varies from brand to brand, and not every brand will fit you right.

1 Like

Wheres the best selection locally? Imagine its slim pickins around town.
Saw a cpl i like online I like but a little leary getting helmet before i try it on.

I bought a Giro Fixture with MIPS last season for $98 plus tax at Cyclesmith and then bought the female version this summer for the same price, IMO you can’t beat the value of this helmet and it’s quite comfortable too

Shameless plug below :rofl:

3 Likes

I find the Specialized Ambush Comp ANGi+ with MIPS vary comfortable and it was somewhat experience but not bad coming in at 125$

2 Likes

I purchased a Scott Vivo Plus which has MIPS protection and really like it, has great ventilation and no pressure points, but everyone’s head is shaped differently…

That being said, I bought it online without trying it on beforehand and it was bang on for fit…

Got it for $99.99…

1 Like

I was looking at this helmet but im seeing 150 plus tax

Where did u buy yours?

It works!
Just think getting punched in the side of the head and the punch lands squarely versus it skidding off the side of your noggin.

2 Likes

U guys have much left in stock Sheldon? Probably getting low eh? @sheldonmcq

I got mine from sweet ride last year

I’ve had multiple concussions from work and sports, with 5+ major concussions. My last concussion left me with a permanent brain injury and ended my career. At one point I was told I’d never be able to ride a bike again. I’m riding again, but I’m more cautious than I previously was, and I’m using a MIPS helmet to help mitigate my risk of another concussion.

2 Likes

Full face isn’t for everyone but my wife picked up a Rampage Pro Carbon with MIPS from Fox’s website for me last christmas on clearance fairly cheap, with their non carbon ones being cheaper ($100-150). Might be worth checking out, specifically their more “niche” paint design options from last year go on clearance each season, with solid colours usually staying the same price. Mine isn’t too wild looking though and it’s really grown on me. The wilder the paint from last season, the cheaper they seem to be :joy: Once I got used to the full face I will never go back, love that extra protection!

4 Likes

Ive actually thought about this route. Prob wont go full time full face but i would like one for when im practicing drops and upgrade to throwing small jumps in my game haha

1 Like

I’ve had a concussion mountain biking at Fitz years ago. No MIPS. My Bell Sixer and my Giro road helmet has it I think. No reason not to get it or the new Bontrager Wavecell or whatever they call it. Having said that I always found that bike helmets rotated quite without MIPS. MIPS does not add much cost anymore, so get it.

1731836127_d776ec6e98_o

1 Like

MIPS and full back of head coverage is mandatory when buying a helmet in my mind.

Helmet (or any safety equipment) is not the place to be trying to save money in MTB.

4 Likes

I just picked up a Compound with MIPS on clearance for $30, it’s just an XL size Fixture, and is an excellent helmet, and quite a step up from my 2003 Specialized. When I started looking for a replacement this year, I did a bit of reading on MIPS, and seeing as how there really isn’t a price difference, I figured why wouldn’t I get it.

2 Likes

Sportchek 25% off today. Think this is the one im gonna go with

2 Likes

MIPS all the way. It works! Personal experience.

I ride a specialized ambush. (Yes, I work at a shop) However, I am thoroughly impressed with the fit. In saying that, each company uses a unique mold so it’s worth trying a few different makes to get the most comfortable helmet.

1 Like

I picked up a Fox Speedframe Pro and love it

1 Like