Top Mountain Biking Trails in Atlantic Canada

Shoutout to @chucsutt, @timber and @MTBA for showcasing some of the fantastic trails on offer in the maritimes.

9 Likes

Great to see recognition.

Wouldnā€™t call Minto the best trails in NB or even one of the Best trail systems in NB.

Trash talking probably isnā€™t the best tech trail at Victoria park. That would have to be Treesum, McCreedy, or Hawk. Last I checked Trash Talking was a flow trail and itā€™s likely the best one.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll never understand why locals rip on Minto. Itā€™s so interesting and different that it totally deserves to be hoisted up as a unique Mecca of riding. Even if you donā€™t think it even rates, you have to understand the impact of that terrain on first time visitors. I go back at least once a year and itā€™s worth it every time. There are tons of good systems in NB and I would easily place it in the top 3.

Whatā€™s better than Minto, @SQUATCH? MVP is fun, but not at the same level. Penniac is ok, not even close. Sugarloaf is a riot but not everyone enjoys DH (I do). Hillsborough is fun but no where close. Havenā€™t ridden Rockwood in ages, but I canā€™t imagine itā€™s even close. Chaleur and French Fort Cove are awesome, but not as unique as Minto. Iā€™ve not ridden Madawaska, so maybe itā€™s better? I dunno.

Minto is a hoot, cool to look at, and very unique. I think that qualifies it as the best system
In NB.

6 Likes

Anyway, no matter what trails we all like and ride, itā€™s amazing to see our little provinces getting recognition as an amazing riding destination.

4 Likes

Madawaska and Minto are so different, I wouldnā€™t know which one to call ā€˜betterā€™ than the other. Theyā€™re both fantastic trail systems in their own different ways.

You absolutely need to add Madawaska to your list @brightwhite. Itā€™s a great way to break up the drive to/from Quebec and stretch the legs while riding some great trails, and thereā€™s a fantastic wood fired pizza spot down the road to boot; Pizza Le Patrimoine

1 Like

I was going to ride it on the way back from Quebec last week, but we just didnā€™t have time and wanted to get home.

1 Like

Oh boy. This is gonna be divisive lol.

2 Likes

Madawaska is better, by far I will say that.

To be honest vs Truro NS, the Fredericton area is weak, but itā€™s constantly growing.

If Minto was your local trail, trust me youā€™d ride it once a month. It looses the magic after youā€™ve ridden it a bunch of times. Itā€™s good, donā€™t get me wrong but as for progressing riders, I think locally MVP offers a better opportunity for progression as a rider, without the drive.

I donā€™t hate Minto, I actually quite enjoy it now that I have an XC bike. But I still donā€™t think itā€™s better than anywhere else. But hey thatā€™s opinions. I will say in prep for Elgin Iā€™ll likely ride a lot more Minto.

Not trying to be divisive, just sharing one of hundreds of opinions, on it. But I do know that locally most people Iā€™ve met donā€™t go out there super often.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, Jamison! Awesome to see our region getting some love out there :metal:

1 Like

Again amazing work to the creators of the content. Not trying to be overly critical. Just my opinion, I know more than what Iā€™m thinking went into the decisions.

1 Like

As I read the article I found myself agreeing and saying ā€œyep, agreed, flagship trails in that areaā€ and ā€œyep, agreed, solid networkā€ for most of the trail systems listed. Iā€™m fortunate to travel a lot with work that takes me to most of the trail networks in Atl Can and the article was def a Greatest Hits album.

Certainly a big fan of Minto, itā€™s the epitome of fast, tight singletrack. The more speed you throw at it the techier it is. Being fit enough to rip the climbs will certainly help a rider keep the speed on the up. Without that fitness much of the terrain can seem difficult and a series of short descents with continuous painfully steep climbs. Iā€™ve ridden a few hundred kms there and raced a couple 60k events there and have never met anyone that rips that doesnā€™t love it but can appreciate that not everything is for everyone. Not a lot of networks around that you can go smash a 30k singletrack ride and not touch your tracks. The whole mindblowing and unique terrain is just a bonus on top of the trails.
Madawaska/Edmundston is a fantastic network too, have logged a couple hundred k there, and while very fun and flowy with a lot of kms available itā€™s quite wide (much of it is machine built width) and thereā€™s not a ton of technical or supersteep trails or features. It would be a great training ground for Elgin and certainly itā€™s perfect for the XCM events theyā€™ve held there.
IMO a trail network can be fun if it has a few kms but itā€™s not going to be great until you can put together a decently long ride without having to do laps of the same stuff. If one rider is avgā€™ing 15-20 kph on terrain and another is avgā€™ing 6-10 they may have different expectations and needs on how great that network is. I can think of a boatload of trail networks that have some great trails but the amount of terrain is limited and youā€™ve done it and got the t-shirt after 60-90 mins.
Weā€™re blessed with a growing and diverse offering of trails in this region. I like to think of trails like music- I may prefer one genre or band in the moment but I donā€™t have a ā€˜favouriteā€™ that trumps everything else. Variety is the spice of life.

11 Likes

Man, no love for Wrandees. Whereā€™s the feels for that sweet 90s jank. Lolz

11 Likes

Wrandees was our high school sweetheart- new and exciting and we look back fondly on the experience and we learned a lot of things but ultimately we drifted apart.

6 Likes

Great article, and nails all the great trails in the region.
I absolutely love Minto, for me, its the place I enjoy the most in the region, I love the combo of speed and punchy tech, the landscape is also so unique, really cool spot.
I tried Brookvale for the first time last week and that place is also a blast,.so fast and fun. Coming from riding in HRM for 25+ years, the smoother flowy trails are nice!

4 Likes

I keep thinking about that Simgletracks.com list of the ā€œmost popularā€ trails in our area and how out of touch it was, compared to this list, which is near perfect.

I am absolutely in love with Brookvale, so much fun.

1 Like