Trek Recalls Disc Bicycles Due to Fall Hazard

Trek 720 Disc bicycles and wheel sets being recalled:
USA: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/017/trek-recalls-disc-bicycles
CAN: http://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2017/61806r-eng.php

Sure, it’s road related… but I know many of us do some road-riding when the trails aren’t in good shape. :slight_smile:

Did they really need to issue a recall for the chance of a broken spoke jamming up the calipers? It doesn’t mention any indication there is an issue with the spokes, nipples, or hub flanges that increases the chances of a broken spoke.

Recalls are expensive, so there must have been an issue somewhere in the chain that was significant enough to warrant it. Does seem a bit on the weak side, though, I agree.

1 Like

You’re probably right. Either Trek used poor quality spokes or the one person who got hurt is suing for a boatload of money.

1 Like

I dunno, I’d feel pretty bad if someone was paralyzed for something I could have prevented.

Globally, Trek has received 10 reports of incidents where either the wheel spoke contacted the bike’s brake caliper or the spokes broke at the hub. In the United States, there has been one reported injury of a broken vertebra.

2 Likes

A rebuild + spokes probably ended up costing more to an accountant than whole wheel replacement. Trek is taking this whole thing pretty seriously, they need visual confirmation (pictures) that the wheels have been destroyed before the replacements are shipped out. At least the hubs are saved.

They’re already making and shipping wheels at mass-produced low-costs, paying extra labour isn’t something they’re likely to be willing to do. Recalls are already expensive enough, both to the bottom line and their reputation.

As for needing visual confirmation: that’s not uncommon, but it is a bit odd that they’re waiting for the damage to occur before issuing the replacement. That’s just standard warranty work, not a recall (IMO).

1 Like

No, you misunderstood. The customer brings the bike with the wheels either in perfect working order or not and the shop removes them, takes a picture after either cutting the rim or destroying it in a vice, and then trek sends new wheels. The new wheels have black spokes to make it obvious that they are the replacement wheels (the recalled wheels have silver spokes).

2 Likes

I did misunderstand, thanks for the clarification. I’m in full agreement: that’s very odd! I mean, I can see needing confirmation that the old wheel was destroyed as they’re handing over the new wheel, but to destroy it before the wheel will even be shipped? That’s screwy.

[quote=“tossedsalad, post:8, topic:4796, full:true”]
The customer brings the bike with the wheels either in perfect working order or not and the shop removes them, takes a picture after either cutting the rim or destroying it in a vice, and then trek sends new wheels. [/quote]

So unless the shop can/will loan a spare wheel, the person can’t use their bike until the new wheel comes in? That’s pretty crummy!

1 Like

Yeah, it doesn’t usually work like that, normally replacement product is shipped ahead of time but in this case I guess its serious enough that Trek wants those wheels off the road ASAP.

On the bright side, its January.

Fat tires for those who have the option. Certainly not looking too good for road riding in Halifax today!

It comes down to making sure people are not getting free replacement and people keeping the flawed parts. It does suck but it’s hard to a company as large as that to just trust that shops have disposed of the faulty parts. Seen a few vids of shops hacking the BB out of brand new carbon frames for recall war warranty replacements. makes me cry inside.

Seen a few vids of shops hacking the BB out of brand new carbon frames for recall war warranty replacements. makes me cry inside.

Yeah, you definitely don’t want my job.

1 Like