Turn that progression up to 11!

I’ve been playing around with the Fox 34 in my hardtail, trying to set up my fork to play better with plus tires. I’m trying 4 tokens today.
Warning: consult the charts on the Fox website for maximum volume spacers in your fork.

2 Likes

Take that air volume!
I was having problems with needing a lot of air since I’m heavier and was having a hard time dialing in my volume spacers and air pressure. I’m now running an MRP ramp control cartridge in my Pike. It takes the place of the volume spacers and lets you increase the effective amount of spacers on the fly without having to open up the fork and I’ve got it set up damn near perfect now. Supple off the top to keep things comfortable with a pile of ramp up to prevent bottoming the fork.

1 Like

I have heard great things about the MRP. I like the idea that it tunes mostly the end stroke so you can have great bottom out resistance but not make it super harsh everywhere in the stroke. It acts like a damper for the air side of your fork vs actually replacing the air volume apparently, It’s pretty cool. I considered getting one myself.

1 Like

It still displaces a little air volume. The piece by itself acts like 1 volume spacers. It works well so far though. Definitely a far more expensive option when compared to plastic volume spacers.

1 Like

Would be cool if somehow they made one for the rear shock too.

1 Like

@Ryan02 Fox did that years ago with the AVA (Air Volume Adjust) air sleeves for Float shocks. You could change the volume of the positive air chamber. An idea before it’s time maybe?

https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/eng/rear_shocks/ava_(air_volume_adjuster).htm

1 Like

Do you find that it’s a set it and forget it thing once you find the setting you like, or do you change it depend on the trail you’re on?

1 Like

I am a very much set and forget kind of guy. Once I find a setting I like I won’t change anything. I mean you could change the progression for the trail but that seems like a hassle to me. I got the fork to a spot where I was happy with the feel off the top and then just kept cranking up the progression until I wasn’t bottoming out and left it. I’m probably running 35% sag for comfort and don’t bottom out my fork.
Once it’s set that’s it for me and when I rebuild my suspension it’ll just go right back to the same settings.

1 Like

Rock shox also offers rear shock tuning bands. They are like the volume reducers in a fork for increasing ramp and progression. The only downside is that the shock has to come apart to swap them out so it’s a little less convenient. But they definitely are worth installing if you find you’re bottoming you’re rear shock a lot or if you are heavier. I run max tuning bands in my rock Shox monarch.

1 Like