Whopper Trail Needs

What were you thinking fixin’ of Kinger?

I was just out lake loop for a rip today. That bridge over the stream with big bolders on it would be a good candidate. The one we stopped and talked about. 1st or second one into the lake loop trail.

Anyway, under my deck I have:

2x 2x8 4’ (could be chopped into planks, maybe ripped 4" too.)

2x 2X8 5’ (could be chopped into planks, maybe ripped to 4" too.)

2x pressure treated landscaping ties 7’ long (pointy ends)

1x 2x12 12’ staging plank (great for a skinny trail feature)

I also have a bunch of pressure treated deck balasters (2x2, 36" long) that could be used as filler planks to alow more spacing between the structural planks.

Let me know if you are interested.

I saw Jeff’s post about the bridge in Whopper. A lot of Whopper’s structures are getting unsafe. People may not want to put a lot of work into the trail, since it will eventually be levelled. In the meantime, though, I wonder if we can organize some work parties to do some maintenance.

Can we make a list of items on the trail that need attention, and then tick them off as they get done?

One thing I was wondering about is moving the “decommissioned” bridge over the big boulder down to the Playground and modding it for use as a bridge over the waterhole at the entrance, or doing some rock work to build a causeway across.

I would love to see some maintenance done to ensure safety at Whopper. Certainly feel free to start something here on Pedaltrout to get the party started. I will do anything I can do to assist, and it seems there are already a few here that have some interest in leading the charge.

Not like my opinion matters, but I generally think that wooden structures make for poor trails for the exact reason that they rot and become unsafe and have to be rebuilt. A well constructed trail should be routed around areas that would require building structures. Constantly wet or boggy areas should be avoided altogether, small wet areas could be ditched and drained or possibly crossed using stone/earth causways.

In the case of the bridge, there may be a better crossing point upstream that could be done with the existing stone? Maybe you just have to get a little wet to cross it.

Agreed Bent. You make some great points.

That’s not to say that bridges and other stunt structurs aren’t fun. There’s as many ideas about what constitutes a good trail as there are builders and not everyone follows a construction standard. I prefer natural terrain but others want ‘north shore’ type stuff, or jumps or groomed and bermed. So really whoever has the dirve builds the trail to their vision and ability. I only ride whopper maybe once a year if I’m lucky so however people maintain the trail I ride it and appreciate their efforts.

bent does make good points. There are lots of possible solutions for trail problems, and they all have their pluses and minuses. IMHO, wooden structures don’t necessarily make for poor trails, but if they’re not maintained, they definitiely make for poor trail - they’re not safe, look ugly, and may end up as an unsightly pile of debris at the side of the trail.

With the Whopper, we also have to consider how much work we want to put into it. I’d like it to be safe and useable, but the whole area may be levelled in a year or two.

bent does make good points. There are lots of possible solutions for trail problems, and they all have their pluses and minuses. IMHO, wooden structures don’t necessarily make for poor trails, but if they’re not maintained, they definitiely make for poor trail - they’re not safe, look ugly, and may end up as an unsightly pile of debris at the side of the trail.

Here’s a start to the list of maintenance items for Whopper:

Main Trail
“Prof’s Bridge” - Second bridge built from rough hewn logs - a few cross pieces missing
Third bridge at the top of the hill above Playground trail intersection - loose and missing cross pieces
Bridge at mudhole below Rock Garden sketchy - barely walkable, but probably not safe to ride

Playground/No Man’s Land
Low overhanging branch near Main Trail/Playground trail intersection
Entrance bridge sketchy, does not span full gap

Shawshank
Many structures in rough shape
“Rollercoaster” at the end of Shawshank - missing cross pieces, getting weak

Feel free to add to the list, or cross off as they get corrected. I’ll try to do a ride there this week or the weekend with a tape measure and scope out the needs and maybe coordinate a maintenance day.

stuff in shaw shank was built with fallen trees from hurricane jaun,yes a frivolous action but it was fun to build and ride. they don’t need to be rebuilt seeing how there’s a trail connecting the bottom of shawshank and no-man’s land. as to the needed bridges they either need to be refurbished or some of them could be replaced by rockwork. the main thing which needs to be done is strip a million roots and rocks out of some of the single tracks. loppers and a pick would suffice for tools.
don’t forget the hrm is watching and if we as a group show some good, they might want to help us out with a proper designated area for biking… yes i talk to the “tilley hat wearing hikers” because you never know…

LOL…tilley hat wearing hikers

ok here my rant like reply to this /other topic(s). since this is the whopper thread lets start with the bridges. the whopper has always suffered from an over abundance of wooden structures. most of these were built in the height of the free ride fade around here. remember the sky bridge on deathmarch or some of the stuff that was built with birch the the thickness of my finger. over time stuff got more roboust but the bottom line is that anything built with wood will rot and need to be maintianed. for the long term we should be removing wooden structures as much as possible. rerouting and armouring as well as earthern culverts are all options. granted there are a couple spots were briding is the best solution. for these spots i recomend that some of the wood from the old stunt loop be used. there was some serious lumber used that is just sitting there now. i will agree also that more than just structure work is needed but trail work as well. who’s going to do that? good question but it won’t be me. which allows me to drift into the secound segment. there have been several mentions of what is going on and where as far as biking the city and land use. so for those that did not attend the macintosh singletrack trail meeting you need to read up and get informed. there were over 200 folks at the meeting and the city and the feds will be getting a proposal from trail users to build a three phase plan of over 20 k of singletrack. this is were all the effort is being focused right now. this includes the local builders the folks at bns and the trails group which is currently called god knows what. for the forseeable future this project will take front stage. were does that leave whopper? in your hands. call a trail day by all means and fix some shit up but don’t be waiting for others to lead the charge.

Rockhopper mentioned the playground and Shawshank, however, we should put priority on the sections that will remain after they start buldozing. Fortunately, those are pretty good except the Lake loop bridge which is especially unsafe and will be uncrossible when it is gone.

Rockhopper mentioned the playground and Shawshank, however, we should put priority on the sections that will remain after they start buldozing. Fortunately, those are pretty good except the Lake loop bridge which is especially unsafe and will be uncrossible when it is gone.

The suggestion of using the lumber from the stunt loop is really viable, the stuff is already part way to another usable destination, should still be in decent shape (guessing) and is free. Also, it helps clean up the trail from unused, unsightly trash.

I don’t think we really want to do very much intensive work with Whopper, considering its future - I’m more thinking along the lines of what is the minimum work needed to keep it safe and useable. Nonetheless, it is heavily used, and the most weather-resistant HRM trail we have right now.

As for where to put the effort, keeping the Main Trail open ought to be first Priority. As I understand the development plan, the Lake Loop/Lab Pass should still exist after development, so it might be worth putting effort there. Shawshank will be lost, so it’s probably not worth putting much of an investment into.

Darkmyth’s suggestion of using lumber from Stunt Loop/Proudest Monkey or Shawshank is a great idea.

Before I steal wood from the Roller Coaster at the end of Shawshank, no one is thinking of rebuilding it are they?

I guess I know what we are doing this weekend http://resource.pedaltrout.com/old_site_images/4ae6aa98aa63363c16ea74f927696bd9.gif

I’ve offered Jeff the lumber to redo the bridge at the lake… it will take some willing hands to get it back there though.

Thanks Ken, I’m looking to do an afternoon ride thursday to get out and get some measurements. Good excuse to take afternoon off and go for a ride. :slight_smile: … with a tape measure.