Winter tires (sorry)

Ducks things thrown at me…,Yeah yeah it’s still August I know. Just curious thoughts on winter tires. DIY studs or purchase prestudded. I’d prefer to support a bike shop but man the diy studs are cheap online which also may reflect the quality. Anyone who has had experience with both with input?

Schwalaby Ice Spiker Pros are the ticket.

4 Likes

I studded my fat minions with Grip Studs (not cheap at almost $1 each) and get great grip in ice and snow, but also thinking of selling the fat bike and buying a set of winter tires for the Middlechild. Ice Spiker Pro have a great reputation.

2 Likes

For fat bike tires, you need longer studs, due to the increased surface area. If you’re riding normal tires, Schwalbe Ice Spikers are the bomb. I run 45Nrth Wratchchilds that I studded myself with a mix of 45Nrth studs and cheaper ‘normal’ studs. The normal studs are largely useless, but the 45N studs are amazing.

2 Likes

Thread bump. Staring at the summer sunshine has me thinking about winter fat biking. Thinking about trying something different than my studded Vee SnowshoeXLs. Contemplating something from 45Nrth. Wraithchild? Wraithlorde? Dillinger5? Anyone have any experience? Also interested in other brands. I figure I have some time to contemplate, and track down something before the snow flies :laughing:

I’ve been running studded Snowshoe XLs the last three winters and am also considering something better for this winter. @brightwhite runs Wrathchilds and likes them a lot. The Wrathlorde is what I’m currently thinking of going with.

2 Likes

I’ve been running Wrathchilds for a few seasons now and they are excellent. Excellent grip on ice and very good in the snow too.

3 Likes

i had the snowshoes and really, really didn’t like them and then bought a set of the wraithlorde’s. they are amazing and grip and bite on the ice allowing you to ride way more aggressively

3 Likes

Anyone have any opinions on Terrene tires?

@Drgonzo, I’ve got a set of 27.5 X 4.0 Cake Eater Light’s on my fatty. Probably not the reviews your looking for though.

do you not like them?

1 Like

I have no issues with them. I ride them at Mac as they are the only studless that I own. For winter riding just personal preference I like having studs. But these perform very well and for fatties, fast and light.

1 Like