Winter Trail Grooming - West Hants

Snow Season is on its way and we’ve got the groomer all tuned up and ready to go!

We’ll be Grooming at Irishmans Road Recreation Site and Smileys Provincial Park this winter for all your Fat Bike and Snowshoeing needs. Fort Edward in Windsor will also be getting groomed this year, as will the Tregothic Trail (more of an active transpiration corridor) for those looking for a quick hike closer to town.

Target is to get two grooms a week at each site (snow pending of course) and we’ll be starting up as soon as the weather allows.

I’ll post here trail condition updates here as I have them likely starting mid December.

20 Likes

Sweet!

2 Likes

Looks like we might be enough snow to groom by Saturday morning. Get your fattys ready for Sunday! Rain is coming Monday so don’t delay!

I’ll update on conditions as soon as I can.

4 Likes

Will be grooming this morning at Smiley’s and Irishmans. Snow should be excellent tomorrow or even this evening.

4 Likes

Jan 21 snow report

Irishmans was groomed first thing this morning. Snow is kinda skimpy in the single track so didn’t do too much. Good coverage on the fields and double track tho.

Smiley’s had a bit more snow and should be better fat biking. Was able to groom pretty much the while park.

Cut out a few fallen trees form both sites.

5 Likes

January 24 snow report

Not much snow left at Irishman’s, coverage is good at Smileys. Thats the spot to go. Snow was a bit wet and slushy when I groomed this morning, if it hardens up it’ll be fast. Night ride might be the ticket.

4 Likes

Feb 1 Update
Last round of snow was super dry and fluffy. No grooming today but with some warmer temps tomorrow I’m hoping the snow will soften up enough to pack. More to come…

1 Like

Feb 14 Update
Well… minimal snow but there is snow. We groomed what was viable but it’s pretty skimpy.

VERY icy in spots, so studs if biking are pretty much a must. Crampons for hiking would also be strongly recommends if going to Irishman’s or Smiley’s.

4 Likes

Feb 18 Update. Got more snow last night than expected and with the rain prior it was fairly wet and should pack in nice. Groomed a decent loop at both Irishman’s and Smiley’s last this afternoon. Hit it first thing in the morning for the best conditions.

5 Likes

Feb 25

Trails groomed up this morning. Still a few icy patches under the snow so watch your step. Coverage is a bit thin (story of the year!) but not too bad.

Reminder Irishman’s is closed tomorrow (Sunday Feb 26) for an archery shoot but will be back open for you to enjoy on Monday.

1 Like

@Pepperjester where is this?

Irishmans Rd Recreation Site - 151 Irishmans Rd, Windsor Google Maps

https://www.trailforks.com/region/irishman-s-road-recreation-site/

Smileys Provincial Park - 109 Clayton McKay Rd, Newport

3 Likes

March 3

Irishman’s, Tregothic and Fort Edward all got a pass this morning. We got a good dumping!. Will be doing Smiley’s first thing tomorrow morning and then a second pass at Irishman’s to pack in a few more trails.

Fat bikes and snowshoes would be ideal today, but I think in a few days (after we get more passes in) you will be good on regular bikes. The snow looks like it is going to firm up nice.

5 Likes

March 4

Smiley’s is groomed out, will be a bit soft today. Would be a good ski or snowshoe. I’d give it the same time to firm up before fat biking it. As of this morning the parking was not plowed so proceed with caution if you don’t have a 4x4.

Also did groomed out a few more trails and did a touch up lap on the others at Irishman’s. It’s looking quite good for fat bikes!

2 Likes

March 7

Did a touch up at Irishman’s ad Smileys this morning. Looking good out there! Irishman’s especially.

Heads up the Smileys parking lot is pretty icy under the snow. Almost didn’t make it out with the big truck today… could be sketchy with a car.

2 Likes

March 16
Groomed what I could. not much new snow. Kinda slushy and icy in spots. May be nearing the end of snow season.

2 Likes