Wisdom from the bike mechanics out there

What’s a good substitute for a cable end cap?

I’ve replaced the cable on my dropper and can’t find any end caps here.

I’m probably not going out for a few days and not sure I’m willing to wait that long.

Heat shrink tubing (small size) works great if you’ve got some.

2 Likes

Soldering the end of the cable will work well too if you happen to have soldering supplies close by.

4 Likes

I’ll give soldering a go.

No shrink tube either.

http://bloombikeshop.com/articles/cable-end-cap-alternatives.php

1 Like

You might need to use some sandpaper to clean the end of the cable first to remove any coating that might be on the cable. Flux core solder should do a decent job

1 Like

I looked at that page earlier but wanted to see if there were any other suggestions out there.

I’ve dipped them in 2 part epoxy before.

1 Like

I can give you some caps if you need a couple. Anything other than a legit cap on a shift cable is going to be a stopgap in my experience.

1 Like

Thanks for the offer. I agree with you so I stole one off a kids bike I’ve got stored in the shed! It’s holding tight at the moment.

I’ve ordered a bunch off Amazon so should be ok at the moment.

1 Like

While I agree the proper cap is the best, I’ve had the same 1" piece of heatshrink on my dropper cable for two years with no issue though it is in a spot that’s fairly unlikely to be catching on things. Plus I have multiple colours of heatshrink so it’s possible to colour coordinate if you’re into that (I used black lol).

A drop of super glue works great.

2 Likes

I’d be tempted to even put a dab of silicone on there, considering it’s only temporary until you can put a proper cap on it.

1 Like

Finding Nova Scotia very hard on gear still.

Any suggestions on a hard wearing gear cable outer. Needs to be full length.

Also any advice on whether just leave it till it gets worse/ fails or I need a new RD or shifter.

I wouldn’t run out and replace it right away, but probably would hurt to throw a new housing and shift cable on the bike over the winter as part of your annual maintenance.

Any LBS should have 4mm outer housing in stock by the roll. Or you can order a shimano kit online that comes with housing, cables, ferrules, ends, etc.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s just pulled out for effect so we can see the damage, but if that’s how you run it, you’ve got too much housing sticking out. It’s bound to catch on any of the low-lying brush on the edges of our trails. That should be a direct line to the frame, if it’s full length, it shouldn’t have an issue extending a bit when your derailleur needs it. Also, I highly recommend running a piece of clear tubing (get it from the hardware store) over that last little bit of housing. It will deflect all but the hardest hits on the housing.

4 Likes

In a pinch I have used old spoke nipples as an end cap. Just leave the cable a tad long so you can cut it off and put a proper one on. I usually try and solder them though. Some plumbing paste flux and go easy with the heat, if you overheat it, the solder won’t stick.

1 Like

Came from the Giant Shop (Wellington NZ not Halifax) like that. The cable could do with a bit of shortening (it’s a good length at the shifter) but otherwise it’s not actually as bad as it looks in the picture. It needs to bow out a bit to get to the RD cable bolt.

I’ll fix it when I replace it.

1 Like

I think solder is really the best you can do as it makes the end of the cable a solid mass