1x10 is the ****

Finished my drivetrain conversion a few weeks ago, and I have to say 1x drivetrains are the way to go. With the advent of clutch derailleurs and narrow-wide chainrings it works so simply and flawlessly. I’ve only had one 2 hour ride on it so far but it never had a hitch, no dropped chain or any other nonsense. Dropped almost a pound off the bike too. Set it up with a 11-36 cassette and 34t ring.

The only thing I would say about the set-up is that I chose a 2x crankset, and to get a reasonable chainline I had to use 2mm spacers and 3 ring bolts to space the ring in further so that it would work reasonable in the bigger cogs. If you had a 3x crankset this wouldn’t be an issue.

Also moving from 10 year old Deore shifters to a 10 speed XT shifter has been super sweet.

Whats yer tire width there? those look nice and winter meaty. (Drivetrain, as stated is awesome)

2.4’s, but Continental seems to under size their tires so they’re more like 2.3’s. They are pretty good in the snow, not fatbike good though. :stuck_out_tongue:

I second the 1x sentiments. I went to a 32T n/w Race Face ring on a Turbine crank, with a SRAM X7 set up out back with a type 2, (clutch type), derailleur. It is awesome! Why did I not do this years ago. So clean, simple, reliable and quiet!

Sick set up, BTW. Nice looking rig.

more pics of the bike please, it looks fun!

I’ve been on 1x systems for years. I think the last time I had more then 1 front ring was about 2005. I don’t know what took people so long to catch on.

OK! I think this is it’s final form unless something breaks. I’ve always loved chromoly hardtails, have since my Trek 930 in the 90’s and now I have one again.

I had run a 1x8 setup on my DJ bike way back in 2002, but in those days you needed a chain guide. I found that out the first time I went riding without one, the chain would come off just by hopping off the side walk. I never really liked chain guides on a trail bike so stuck with 3x or 2x setups until now.

That is such a nice looking bike! Great job on the build.

BAR PLUGS!!! Other than that, though, this is totally my kind of rig. Minus that squishy thing on the front. But it’s still rad as hell.

What’s the ratio at lowest gear?

I would love to go 1x but there are some climbs that I can only get with 24 front, 32 back which is 0.75. 28 front, 36 back would be close to that.

Looks bad ass and I would love to axe the front deraileur.

Nevermind, I didn’t read the original post… 34 front, 36 back = 0.94

Thanks, I rode it in a semi completed state last year, can’t wait till I can get it out on non-snowy trails to see how it goes now!

I think I got the weight reasonable now too, sitting around 28 lbs, not to bad for a hardtail with a 6lb frame.

Ha ha, yea, I need to put those in. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“JeffV”]

Nevermind, I didn’t read the original post… 34 front, 36 back = 0.94[/quote]

I spent a lot of time since November thinking about this, I wanted to get it right. I think I did, but I only have two rides in the snow on it so far. I based it on the fact that I ran 9sp 11-32 for the last 10 years and almost never left my 32 middle ring, regardless of the climb. I figured the 11-36 with a 34t ring would give me that and a slightly easier gear on the top end just in case, yet still give me a pretty good ability for speed in the lower cogs. Time will tell. :slight_smile:

Thanks… now I’m obsessing over 42T adapter cogs!

There’s one from one up components and one from wolf tooth components.

bikerumor.com/2013/12/20/sne … e-adapter/

oneupcomponents.com/

I think with a 30T Narrow/Wide ring up front I would still be able to climb stuff I can currently tackle.

That is a super sweet ride man! Love it… fat rubber all the way (just not a fat bike… yet)…

Looks good. I’ve been debating 1x9 on my inbred. My derailleur and cassette are fairly new so I don’t want to replace them yet but I’ve read the narrow/wide rings can work without a clutch derailleur. I have the same crankset so would need spacers as well I guess.

I’m looking into this, how important is a clutch deraileur for the setup?

Looking at going 1x10 for my 2012 Reign. I suspect a full suspension could be more prone to chain drops.

[quote=“JeffV”]I’m looking into this, how important is a clutch deraileur for the setup?

Looking at going 1x10 for my 2012 Reign. I suspect a full suspension could be more prone to chain drops.[/quote]

I’m running 1x10 on my 2012 Reign. I would say a clutch derailler is a more important piece of the puzzle. I am running an E-13 LG1 guide, but I don’t have the bottom roller on. To tell the truth I don’t really think I need it at all. I just piced up a mrp taco only guide to replace the E-13 to protect the ring. I use to run 1x9 with a non clutch derailler on my other dully’s and a chain guide was a must IMO. That said, even with the 1x9 setup and non clutch derailler I rode for most of a season with a front derailler trimmed over to act as a guide. Worked great.

Bottle corks from Grey Goose vodka make great bar plugs!

[quote=“ShawnS”]
I’m running 1x10 on my 2012 Reign. I would say a clutch derailler is a more important piece of the puzzle. I am running an E-13 LG1 guide, but I don’t have the bottom roller on. To tell the truth I don’t really think I need it at all. I just piced up a mrp taco only guide to replace the E-13 to protect the ring.[/quote]

Thanks, Shawn. This is good information. I ordered a 30T and 42T for wolftooth a couple of days ago, so hopefully I’ll have something to play with soon.

How did you mount the LG1 guide? My bb is press fit and there are no tabs for mounting. Is it a Reign X you have, maybe? If there is an adapter plate or something that would be awesome.

I see on chain reaction cycle the XT derailleur with the clutch is $82, so If I need to I can upgrade to that. (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/en/shimano-xt-m786-shadow-10-speed-rear-mech/rp-prod83162)

Cool! That does look fun!!

Well… my crank is integrated into my BB and she’s coming loose. I looked it up and this crank/bb is known for it so it looks like I might be on the hunt for a new BB/Crank and I think I’ll be jumping on this 1x10 bandwagon. We shall see. Its for my full suspension which i don’t turn big rings on anyways, so i should be fine. however i’m not in wicked shape, so i wonder if lack of granny ring is gonna screw me.

and thats the last time i ever put granny and screw in the same sentence.