2015 - Pic from every ride

Pics from Saturday…

1 Like

@gtrguy where was this at?

@Rolls Crystal Crescent out towards Pennant Point…

Funny, I lived out there for 10yrs and didn’t recognize it.

It’s a pretty decent ride, mostly single track with a few hike a bike sections but lots of places to play around on and great potential…noted a bunch of deadfalls in some of the wooded sections that could be dealt with to improve the flow.

I like what I see there. That has an exploratory ride written all over it. Where would one access this area?

@muddy
The easiest way is to go to Crystal Crescent beach- go the second parking lot. From there, either head down to the beach or to avoid some of the walking traffic, go to the trail that continues from the road in- basically the road turns left into the parking lot but if you continue straight, there’s a singletrack trail that bypasses some of the boardwalk/beach path before rejoining with it. Then a quick climb to the highest point along the beach trail followed by a nice long descent- unfortunately unless it’s a crappy weather day (or out of season) there will probably be some walkers so watch out.

When you reach the very end of the boardwalk/trail there’s a sign reminding you that the trail beyond is to be used at your own risk. From here’s it’s a mix of open rock riding, some single track along the edge of the beach and a few wooded sections. In many spots there are multiple paths braided together and some work arounds… with a little exploration the best route will be come clear. The best riding happens the further you get from the beaches in my opinion… less trees, more open.

On this Strava map you can see the trail. There’s also a trail that runs right up the middle of the peninsula to the point but it’s really only decent when there’s been dry weather for a bit- through the middle and back along the beach is a great (long) loop.

Strava bike map of the trail at Crystal Crescent

One other thing to keep in mind- according to the sign at the entrance, the gate is locked at dusk, depending on how long/far you want to ride, it can be advisable to park outside the gate and bike in. There’s a small parking spot just before the gate immediately after you turn off the pavement.

Planning on heading there this evening around 6 if anyone is interested. My riding buddy and I are old and slow so fair warning… lol

Fixed your link @gtrguy, the “#” from strava’s link was converter to a %23 for some reason.

@JeffV Cool, thanks!

I guess I should mention one other thing- watch out for the occasional full moon out that way as you might run across the odd nude sunbather/naturist… LOL

This is from a logging road out behind my house.

That’s pretty neat!

Zoe doing some laps around the house.

@gtrguy - Have you been to the old lookout at the top of the hill on the road that runs across the peninsula? It’s worth a trip up. I haven’t done it in a few years though, and may have grown in.

@Rockhopper Yes, have been to the old bunker many times that way on foot and bike. Usually the first section is a bit overgrown but usually pretty decent beyond that. Continuing past there to the point is cool too but usually too wet to be much fun… last night’s ride along the coast was great, breezy and a fog bank off the coast but well worth the ride… dragged a couple of deadfalls off the path too to improve the flow.

Rode at Keppoch today the trails were were fast and dry…it wasn’t busy at all.

3 Likes

Mind if I catch up?

Tanzania two years ago

Kenya

Baobab on the Mozambique border last year

Whopper this week!

2 Likes

Fixing the shifting…

The Octopus…

Might’ve slipped and got shinned.

2 Likes

Cape Split today, 3x up and down, pretty wet on the bottom.

3 Likes

I was out at whopper tonight. The drop was spared but it was close.

1 Like