2016/17 Winter Trail Conditions

Pipeline/luge is pretty decent, bit bumpy, but totally rideable on a 29er HT with 2.4’s, Rose bowl is also rideable, but a bit more challenging, I suspect the upcoming warm weather will be the end of anything decent in there.

3 Likes

Yeah, we had a great ride tonight. Sad to see it melt away.

4 Likes

I’m riding this afternoon, planning on Spider. Anyone been in there lately? Or am I riding Wrandees again…

Last I heard Spider was mostly unrideable, to spite the snowshoe efforts happening there. I would imagine the main ATV road powerlines/conrad pit and pipeline rd are solid from atv or snowmobile traffic, but the singletracks could be a gamble.

Maybe we need your recon!

1 Like

Today isn’t a day to gamble, rather to gambol. :wink: Wrandees it is, will check on Spider tomorrow morning.

Is it too soft to ride today?

Might be a tad soft in Wrandees if you’re on skinny tires, yeah, those the more shaded, main parts of Pipeline are probably passable with skinny studs. I went out this afternoon with @Krysta and while fun, it was a bit difficult for her; easy peasy on the fat bike. I didn’t have much more luck on Rose Bowl today than I did yesterday; lots of sun hitting that part of the trail, and it wasn’t bad, though either not stomped enough or boot-bombed too much for my liking.

Lots of hikers and dogs out there today, so I expect the boot-bombing blitzkrieg to continue.

1 Like

Sunday / Monday / Tuesday look good on the long range. In between, we’re having warmer days / nights and 60 chance of showers and periods of rain.

Hope enough of a base stays for next Tuesday fun.

1 Like

Shubie is showing lots of bare patches in plowed areas, other spots popular walking spots are hard packed and easily rideable. Everything else is too soft.

The gravel they have been spreading on icy spots for traction is contaminated with a considerable amount of broken glass! Their solution to date has been to cover it with more or different gravel to bury it but the freeze thaw cycle has been pushing it to the top, picked up a bunch of it today.

Spider Lake Trail report from morning of February 23:

TL;DR:
All trails passable by fat bike, main trails possibly by studded skinnies. Don’t attempt any singletrack uphill as it’s far too soft for that. It’s all moot with the heat and rain coming, though. :wink:

Full report:
Power Line where snowmobilers have been having fun: decently solid (likely very soft in the afternoon sun, but was fine first thing in the fog)
Double Track: Well packed by snowmobiles, some minor issues in places. Also boot bombed a bit, but smoothed out some by my multiple trips up.
Skull: Not too bad, but a few places badly boot bombed. I finally gave up when it got too bad.
Ribbon: Not too bad, but a few places badly boot bombed. I filled in some, and made it the whole way down. Had there been a few of us, we likely could have packed it down nicely. Alas, it was just me.
Six Pack (entrance by bottom of Inner Peace): some nasty boot bombing at the top, sluggish on the bottom due to the soft snow.
Replicator: Soft snow, passable by fat bike. Expect to walk the first main uphill.

There’s a trail I don’t know the name of. Starts at the top of Inner Peace, and we usually ride it to the dirt road on our way over to Silversides. That wasn’t too bad, still badly boot bombed in a few places but not bad by fat bike. At the T-intersection where we would turn to Silversides is when it gets bad, it’s poorly packed and I barely made it 10m. Turning left (Unknown Western Flow Trail?) and following the track all the way to the bottom of Six Pack is definitely rideable by fat bike, though again: boot bombed all to hell in some places.

Another trail: starts at the bottom of Inner Peace / top of Six Pack, but crosses Humps down to Unknown Western Flow Trail (?). Not too bad, only rode it once. No idea if I packed it down at all, or created ruts. I only noticed rutting in one or two places on the ATV trail for anywhere that I rode twice, and those places were fairly soft from snowmobiles playing around and churning up the snow.

If not for the sun coming out and the temperature climbing, I’d say get in there today on a fat bike and enjoy it. I suspect it will be plenty soft by the time tonight rolls around.

4 Likes

I went skiing today, it was very soft and slushy. Would have been pretty poor on a bike.

2 Likes

I was just at Spider Lake. It’s 10 degrees and the snow was very soft, past my ankle.

Didn’t even bother to try. On a fat bike, it’ll be a slog at best.

1 Like

Time to pull out the road bike for a bit till the freez comes.

2 Likes

If anyone has an update on the trails at Irishman’s road later in the week that would be sweet. Might take a ride out to Cape Split/Blomidon and check that area out.

2 Likes

Was in the woods today doing some scouting and trail work. Snows semi firm, would be OK with wide tires, a bit soft for a regular bike. Bet everything will be rock hard this weekend.

2 Likes

With the cold weather coming for the next few days what do you think Fight Trail would be like to ride on the weekend? It is a little more exposed so perhaps the snow is mostly gone

I was doing recon 2 days ago. Pretty soft on lake and secret loop. Some erosions on the boulder areas. Mostly boot and dog foot bomb in Lou’s basement skinnies would do fine and make it. I think were gonna get freezed on the weekends which would be good enough for everything.

1 Like

Can’t be much snow left at Fight. Should be good to go.

1 Like

If you go for a after supper ride or something let me know and I may join you :slight_smile:

@Chris_Dwyer-perkins tentative plans call for Saturday am at Spider and Sunday am at Fight. You are more than welcome to join in

1 Like