2016/17 Winter Trail Conditions

Hike NS is doing a group snowshoe stomp through Brunello this morning. That’s a fun 10k loop that should be rideable after they go through and it firms up a bit.

1 Like

@rolls sounds fun but you might get poo-pooed on for trespassing on private property. Hike NS may have had special permission to snowshoe there. It’s my understanding that trails at Brunello are only for residents and their guests as well as members of the Martock XC ski club, in the case of the groomed trails.

because “Brunello Estates is all about a community that will give you your own unique sense of place.”

and that place is somewhere else if you don’t live there.

2 Likes

Shubie is firming up quite nicely should be good for skinny tires pretty much everywhere especially after the temps go back below zero. What isn’t plowed is pretty narrow in some places but that keeps it interesting!

2 Likes

Been to Brunello a few times in the past…after hours, in the dark :wink:

1 Like

Just rode Wrandees. Pipeline is good for fat bikes ( not yet firm enough for skinnies) from Exhibition Park to the main parking lot. Everything else needs more stomping. Surprisingly little foot traffic in there for a Saturday. Hope to head back tonight or tomorrow morning with my snow shoes

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @Nige,

1 Like

Shubie main trails are all super hard packed or plowed with only one exception, the last chunk of the trail on the Mic Mac Mall end is snowshoed and boot bombed only.

I stomped the “secret” singletracks and so long as they don’t get boot bombed they should be good to go early next week. I also added a “winter only” downhill secret singletrack. That should b good for fat bikes early in the week maybe even skinny bikes too. Hope it doen’t get bombed!

going to call it “crazy creek” because it ends at the creek and it’s crazy to think it won’t get bombed to shit.

4 Likes

Good to run into you in there, Nigel.

My son and I snowshoed pipeline and most of Rosebowl. Other than the main ascent on pipeline, it could all use more snowshoe tracks to really make it enjoyable. My guess is that it could be very rideable Monday morning if more people get in there with shoes and even fatties!

3 Likes

I’m on Pipeline right now, looks mint for fat bikes. Coming back later around 7-7:30 if anyone wants to join in!

1 Like

Could that boot bombed chunk my Mic Mac Mall be bypassed by riding in through Lakemist, or whatever that street is called?

I don’t think so, that whole area hasn’t been touched by park staff yet. It’s not that far, so would be worth suffering through to gt to the rest of the park.

@IanM_MTB / anyone else who is interested here is a ride back in 2014 where we were able to ride pipeline loop, rosebowl and redline. Conditions could be like this again if we put the stomping time in and the weather co-operates.

This shows more on redline side:

I couldn’t find the ride where we were able to do it all. Maybe @coaster2 has a track that shows it all.

I might do some more stomping tomorrow too. Temps will be up to +6 so it should pack well. Monday might be awesome.

3 Likes

Can anything be ridden in Whopper?

My guess is no.

1 Like

Agree, it could be amazing in there if we focus our stomping efforts to one riding area.

1 Like

Pipeline Loop was in fantastic shape tonight! @Chris_Dwyer-perkins and I rode 9K in there. We attempted some of Rose Bowl, but a lot of tree branches got in the way and made is fairly silly to attempt. Still, fairly well stomped. As with almost everything, it’s all still narrow and gets deep once you’re out of that packed track.

2 Likes

Wrandees snowshoe session this afternoon!

1 Like

I’m in.

Anyone wants to come along but needs shoes, I have an extra set good up to 170lbs.

1 Like

I’m sure they’re good for more weight on packed snow, really.