2019-2020 Winter Trail Conditons

Was into Spider today, Pipeline was 90% ice, Skull was good, not great. Mostly a light coating of crusty snow, no ice.

3 Likes

Rolls was right. Bowater was great today. Eight of us hit the trail at 10am and I’d say there was a group of about 10 or 12 riders leaving on the 1pm ride. Another group of 3 showed up on my Strava feed later in the afternoon. Thank you Aubrey!

7 Likes

Just rode Whooper (Suzie Q and Flip side) Both in great shape. The only thing is getting by the ICE road. Only two spots on Suzie Q that has ice on exposed granite, other than that it’s mostly snow packed or clear.

Forgot to mention a tree down on Suzie Q side on the long descent.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Suzie Q cleared of trees and trails are looking good. Still be careful on the roads however.

2 Likes

Old school muddy spots on Macfight are like Hard clay no ice on granite. Should be solid froZen this weekend.

2 Likes

Just a light dusting of snow at bowater. Would still be great with skinnies and no studs.

2 Likes

Nigel and I are headed there for 11:30 if anyone wants to join.

1 Like

And Hillsborough is all mud. Some double track is flooded. XC HD looks like a mud slide waiting to happen. All mud and water.

1 Like

Going to try Bird Sanctuary this evening. Has been snowing all day and the temp is dropping. At the very least Thursday evening should be good.

1 Like

Bird Sanctuary…Snow on the ground, slippery roots but first tracks! Such an awesome evening ride!

3 Likes

Would skinny tires work in there Mike?

I would think so based on last night’s conditions. We had a little more snow but not enough to stop a skinny tire. Probably heading back in this evening…

3 Likes

Anyone been out around HRM? Fight? Whopper? Or down at Bowater?

Norrawarren and West Pine was good. Roots are slippery but the ground is solid. A bit of ice in the expected places.

3 Likes

Fight was okay today. Large ice patches in some places, rideable with skinnies without studs with caution. It would be more fun with studs I’d say. Dirt was mostly frozen and great, it’s mainly the exposed granite ice patches that can catch you off guard that were sketchy.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reports last night @lancethedesigner and @Coaster2 We decided to hit Nora Warren and it did not disappoint, nicely frozen and just enough ice here and there to make me glad I had switched over to studded tires.

Noticed the new trail is still closed and yet there were a number of footprints and tire tracks visible on the bridge… I’m really looking forward to checking it out once it’s finally open.

3 Likes

The gorge was absolutely phenomenal this afternoon.
Light fluff of snow, hard crunchy dirt underneath, only had minimal issues with traction while climbing/descending on roots.
Put in several laps on regular non studded tires (sorry fellas I can’t call them “skinny tires” just because fat bikes exist now. It’s not like people started calling normal cars “roofed automobiles” after the first convertible came out :joy:. Skinny tires go on your cyclogravel bikes :wink:)

3 Likes

Took a trip to Norawarren this morning. Just before The Notch there is a tree down across west pine

2 Likes

Go get some Crunchy good ol Fight w/some off camber ice spots before Dreaded snow gets back.

1 Like

Thanks, I cleared it this afternoon.

A heads-up to anyone using the Trailforks app: submitting a trail report at the location of a downed tree (or other serious issue) is a great way to notify MRWA of any issues on the sanctioned trails. TF automagically emails the report and coordinates to me and a couple other people. We can usually fix it fast.

7 Likes