2019-2020 Winter Trail Conditons

Just (Wed evening, 5pm) broke trail riding Spider/Poker Run.

A few wet spots but decent riding in a winter wonderland. Now that the trail is broken it’ll get better with each passing rider. You’ll need a fatbike ATM.
BTW, if you have a set of loppers or a handsaw and a few extra minutes take it, there’s a few conifers leaning over the trail with the weight of the snow and recent winds.

3 Likes

Ripe for the riding out there: https://www.instagram.com/p/B6O3H3enQbw/?igshid=1lt78spdslgoh

2 Likes

Norrawarren’s West Pine is prime right now. Rode without studs or fat bike. Little dicey in spots but very fun​:facepunch::muscle:

8 Likes

SSoooooooooooo good at Bird sanctuary. Had first tracks last night. So fun!

4 Likes

You guys are killing me. My favorite time to ride is right now in these PERFECT conditions. Unfortunately I have contracted Shingles and am out of commission. Go get the vaccine. Trust me when I say you don’t want these. My torso and spine are on fire 24/7. It’s brutal.

3 Likes

That’s harsh man, heal up and get rested hopefully in time for the Holidays. Lots of winter riding still ahead of you.

I missed out on the Spider Lake ride this morning but was able to get to West Pine this afternoon. Agree with @DHRider - that area is a ton of fun right now. Rode West Pine and Norra and Warren loops on standard tires.

5 Likes

Fight is decent, a little dicey but totally rideable at the moment. Norawarren is mint! Get out there this weekend and ride before everything becomes an icy wasteland (and when that happens load up the studs).

4 Likes

Got in a quick burn through Whopper this afternoon. All open granite areas have been packed down by hikers and it’s largely turned to wet, bumpy ice. Woods are a combo of snow and icy parts. All very rideable with studs. Slippery enough on the climbs that a fatty will probably work best, bit not imperative.

FYI–rode Lab Pass/Lake loop > Susie Q backwards > new cut through to Death March (thanks elves!) > Death March > Lakota Way and out. No idea what the power lines or Flip side are like, but probably wet/icy.

2 Likes

I rode Fight today and it was awesome. Some ice but very little. Did Flat Lake Loop and Attic. All very rideable with summer tires.

3 Likes

Did a trail run daminion flipside fire road loop, sounds similar. Reccomendo for the studs.

1 Like

Spider/Skull update: you’ll want studs atm, lots of ice.

5 Likes

Just back from Nine Mile. Studs recommended. Parking lot is sketch as well. My car was not where I left it…slid down the hill about 1.5 car lengths while I was out for a ride.

2 Likes

Was into Shubie/Spider lake yesterday before the snow/light rain. Shubie was good, ice free until Lake Charles extension which was icy, passable without studs but had to be alert.

Spider was rideable without studs but it would be a much better ride with studs. Of course conditions could be completely different today.

1 Like

Went for a short ride this afternoon- da Minion, Flipside, Powerline. More ice than I anticipated which was great. Pretty good conditions right now. Fire Road is a little rough from ATV/4x4 traffic but totally ride able- just have to use the workarounds at the big puddles.

3 Likes

Nine Mile was deluxe tonight! Fast and frozen, riding skinny studded tires.

7 Likes

Flipside at Whopper was mint today, ice was fairly melted and slushy enough it was rideable without studs, lots of exposed dirt and just frozen enough it wasn’t overly muddy

4 Likes

Rode West Pine and Norawarren today. It 90% thin snow cover, 5% ice, 5% bare. I have my studs on, not required as the small icy sections are easy to see well in advance and they are in the usual places.

9 Likes

Anyone been out since the snow/rain/thaw/freeze cycle? Not much snow left in my area but I’m guessing it’s icy in most places.

@Rolls Hitting fight in 1hr… stay tuned

3 Likes