2021 Trail Conditions

Mac Run is summer like conditions. Grip it and rip it!

2 Likes

Gorge is pretty swampy at the moment. Expectedly so.

1 Like

River ridge commons was riding perfect yesterday. There’s maybe 3 or 4 soft spots. I think if it stays nice it would be a good spot for a group ride this week. Lol

1 Like

I mused on it for a while, and I think you ended up in what used to show on TrailForks as “Lou’s Bypass.” I recall a couple of ladders there that definitely seemed sketchy.

1 Like

That was part of the original Attic.

I guess I should amend my trail report then, a few water holes in what may have been formerly known as Lou’s Bypass lol.

“Lou’s Bypass” hasn’t been worked on much, and not at all by MRWA because it wasn’t in the original trail agreement with HRM**. And, yep, it has a huge mud holes and isn’t signed.

That should change this year. Last fall MRWA applied to HRM to add it to the trail agreement, so it can be sanctioned, signed, and the extreme mud holes fixed. The alternative was closure and attempt to revegetate. However, the trail is used quite a bit and serves a purpose --especially by walkers looking for a shortcut, but also some riders.

One of the mud holes is huge. Not sure how it will get fixed yet, probably a boardwalk.

**The reason it was not in the trail agreement is that none of the Attic existed in 2014/2015 when the trail plan was developed and submitted to HRM by MRWA. The Attic is sort of a planned/unplanned combo. But that’s another story.

9 Likes

Context is always appreciated, thanks

1 Like

What’re the best trails to try out on shubie? Never been but looking for a spot to go today

I don’t actually know any of the names, and mostly figured them out through looking for paths off the main gravel path and following wheels on the group rides. Trailforks doesn’t seem to have many of those listed, either.

3 Likes

The singletracks in Shubie are not publicly viewable on Trailforks but they are in the database collecting data for future planning. This may be an unpopular decision but all of the singletracks in Shubie are unsanctioned and illegally built on Municipal property. Park staff to date have not attempted to decommission any of these trails. So in an effort to keep this relationship positive the trails are not advertised as a destination to ride. There is a vocal group of people in the park who would see bikes banned altogether so until these trails are sanctioned or new, sanctioned singletracks are built in the park they will remain off the map.

That being said the singletracks are by no means hidden and most entrances are pretty obvious right off the main trails, go explore, you can’t really get lost there.

9 Likes

Yup and the same folks that don’t want you in the trails don’t want you on the roads.

2 Likes

I did some exploring there today and found maybe 2 kms worth of single track but there weren’t much for features or anything. Not sure if I found it all or not but did 18k in total

1 Like

@AlexK strava heatmap will give you a rough idea of where the off track stuff is.

1 Like

Passing this along in regards to the Wentworth trails: In case people are wondering, Wentworth is too soft for trail bikes yet. I have seen a few people out and you are leaving ruts and a mess. If you have less then a 4.0 tire, stay home until May. Thank you.

3 Likes

Anyone been to Bowater lately? Will be in the area Sunday and trying to figure out whether to bike up for single track or rail trail.

I rode small section in Bowater last weekend. Its soggy in a few spots, but the motos are ripping it so fill your boots I guess.

1 Like

I rode it on Saturday and hiked part of it on Sunday. It was mostly dry with some small soggy spots. Should be even better now. Of course there’s rain in the forecast for Saturday though.

1 Like

Has anyone scoped out the dirt jump parks yet? Would love to hit them up if they’re not soggy messes.

Just general heads up. Been riding Mac Run lately as I’m sure most of us have been. I’ve been noticing a lot of new riders and tones of walkers/hikers.

With that being said, I’ve also noticed that some sections of trail are getting ripped up. Most of what I’m seeing is what looks like inexperienced riders hooking up their brakes in a bunch of the hand made features.

Exhibit #1:

This is the result of someone holding their brake coming off the bridge. I ask myself, why would anybody be dragging their rear tire off the bridge but they did.

This was one of the first repairs last season and looks like it may be on the list again, as I only see it getting worse now.

What I’m trying to say is we are all stewards of the trails and if you notice any of this activity I urge you to say something because at the end of the day they’re only ruining it for everyone. Not to mention wasting time to go back and repair already repaired sections.

Also I was at Whooper on Monday, the Suzie Q Lake look off was ravaged by some individuals that cut a bunch of green trees and had a sizeable fire pit. With the summer like conditions also means the forests are bone dry. The last big rains we had ran off and now the frost is gone. Now we wait for the rains but don’t be naive, it is bone dry and fires can spark up quickly. So again I urge you’s all in the preservation of our beloved trails, if you see any said activity please say something.

It doesn’t make you an ass trying to preserve a green area from fires.

Sorry, if it sounds like a rant. Just trying to make the trails better.

Hope everyone is enjoying the summer like conditions.

10 Likes