Brunello Skills Park... anyone heard anything about this?

It’s cheaper than golfing. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Ha, but golfing is crap and I certainly wouldn’t ever pay to play it!

2 Likes

I cant… must say it… biting tongue.

5 Likes

Considering the amount of money that has been thrown at the trails, a ($5?) fee is reasonable. I have heard they will have around 8km or more by next year. And it’s Team NS training ground which is cool! Very exciting, the builders are doing a great job!

6 Likes

Sharing from Facebook.

Calling out to all MTB Riders! Brunello is opening it’s skill and trails courses on the 11th and 12th from 6pm - 8pm!! Join us as we welcome this new addition to the MTB network of Nova Scotia!! #Brunellotrails #MTBNS #BikeNS

6 Likes

Brunello website is up and running again. Official opening is Saturday Jul 13/19

Looks like they plagiarized most of the content from here: https://bearmountain.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/BikeTrailMap-Web.pdf. They forgot to change Bear Mountain Resort to The Links at Brunello in one place. Oopsy. Hopefully they have permission.

3 Likes

Nice to know their inspiration, at least. :grinning:

Maps are now available. Also posted at the trailhead.

6 Likes

No affiliation with Brunello, just putting this out there…if you sign up for their free “Advantage Club”, you get 10% off the MTB trail fees and discounts on food/drink at the clubhouse.

1 Like

I’m going to have to check this out for myself to see if a few little jumps and berms are worth it, but $5/hr is kind of bizarre, how do they enforce this after the 1 hour? Do they have little ranger bikers on mtbs that patrol or something? Looks like there’s only about an hour of riding anyways so maybe nothing to worry about :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

There’s no enforcement at all so you could stay all day and nobody would really care

I think I see a job opening for me! :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll be interested to hear what you think @nova , Never been there myself, not really planning on it anytime soon either.

2 Likes

When I went there was no mention of a per hour fee. It was five bucks and change to ride as much as I wanted. IMO it’s a worth a fiver because there is no expectation for me to go back and do trail maintenance, and that money will go toward improving and expanding the trail network. Plus there should be no expectation for a business to provide free trails on their property, especially when they are carrying the liability.

5 Likes

I agree it’s probably worth a fiver to check it out, just on their website it has this thing about the $5 access fee getting you one hour of access, and each hour charged at 50% after that which is just kind of bizarre. In comparison to empire trails and keppoch where I happily pay their fees no questions asked, this just seems a bit small and unattractive at this time I guess

I don’t think it’s unseasonable for them to change to use the trails, but at this point being willing to pay $5 to ride 2.3km of trail (3.3 if you include the full length of the gravel road to the river, on their website they count the distance of trails in both directions to get “about 5km”) where the average ride is 6km in distance speaks volumes as to how desperate the trail situation is in HRM.

I appreciate the effort gone into this place but all the reviews I have heard from people who have gone there so far add up to a resounding “meh”. Some people from out of province seemed genuinely confused as to what they were paying for.

1 Like

I think the real value is a place to bring beginners and kids. It is more of a skills park than a trail system. Most trails there get ridden 2-3 times anytime I go.

It is fun though. I think the price couldn’t be lower really and still be under some sort of control.

6 Likes

It’s always curious to me what people will balk at for prices.

We all know how much work and money goes into trail building and maintenance.

People routinely spend 10-12 bucks for a shitty burger and fries and say nothing.

6 Likes

For me it’s really about the hype, the details. For instance that it costs $5 and forget to mention tax is extra, and this weird hourly thing which they seem to not bother trying to enforce. Saying they have 5km of trail when in reality they only have half that. Half truths that they are spinning to make it seem better than it is.

So people go and are underwhelmed. Just because it’s something new and there isn’t a lot of choice doesn’t mean it has to be good.

1 Like