Current Trail Conditions

I was also very impressed the last time I rode there.

New stuff at Cape Split is also amazing.

6 Likes

Ok awesome i havent ridden cape split yet. Let lone hiked it in 6 or 7 years

Hi everyone. Eric from Keppoch here. I am not super active on social media, but did want to chime in. But you may have met me at Keppoch before.

Really, really appreciate the concerns and issues being raised. I started as chair of the board last summer and trail maintenance was something I - along with others - immediately began addressing. But of course, these challenges don’t start overnight or are solved overnight. It’s also tough since we are not a for-profit organization, and are not owned by business people or anyone with deep pockets. We’re largely driven by a volunteer board and a small trail crew.

We’re working hard to rebuild back from previous years especially the end of last fall when at the end of the season trails weren’t looking good. It was a challenge and on top of that we were hit hard with about $70,000 in damage from the November floods. Insurance takes a while, and we almost have all that funding confirmed and we are looking at where we can apply that - to rebuilding our most damaged trails like roller, riverside (bad drainage and issues to begin with…), freeride, switchcraft and more. We’re also planning some other work.

For price increases, totally hear it. We’d planned on raising our prices over the winter since we hadn’t raised them in 5 or 6 years, and had bought a new shuttle that increased capacity from 18 to 24. Then the diesel prices hit us. We’re hoping to find a sponsor, but now that diesel is going back down may be able to adjust.

All that to say, I/we totally understand the frustration. I feel it too, but I think we are putting things in place for the fall so that we can do more this fall and next year. Volunteers welcome! And we’re going to make that happen. And hope to see you at the Enduro and on the shuttle.

I hope many of you have seen a difference in how our new manager (Justine) has been taking feedback. She’s excellent. And our full time trail crew has been out monday to Friday working on the trails - from many long time users they are saying trails are better than they have been in 2 or 3 years. I hope you’re seeing and feeling that. They won’t compare to brand new flow trails but we are getting good feedback. Please come and keep an open mind.

I think our first significant work will be a rebuild of the top of roller. Planning it for the Fall. More to come.

It’s also amazing to see what new stuff is happening in the province. What Wentworth is doing is great (and I envy their brand new trails!). The more we build together, the more there is for everyone and the scene.

Feel free to get in touch with me. And Keppoch always appreciates feedback.

29 Likes

@EricS welcome to the forum, really appreciate the update!

8 Likes

Thanks! I hope to post an overall update on the hill and what we are planning fairly soon. We are stretched, but who isn’t these days? Just nice to see people do really care about us and want us to do well. Let’s build on that and build a great community.

6 Likes

Thanks @EricS (from another Eric S :blush:) for the update! Totally appreciate the challenges of a non-profit and getting volunteers to get stuff done.

2 Likes

Was at Nine Mile today - was expecting wet trail from yesterday’s rain, and doing some drainage work. Trail was a bit damp, but no standing water or mud anywhere, except two puddles beside the dry bypasses out by the lake, and I dug drains for those two puddles too. So the main trail and probably Dipper are pretty dry.

5 Likes

Gorge is in excellent shape. Come ride and ride this weekend folks!

6 Likes

Rode it Friday night in prep for the sport race tomorrow. Weather is looking good and trails are mint!

1 Like

I was able to take advantage of the Friday Shuttle at Keppoch yesterday and found that the trails that I like the best are in great shape. Chicken Cougar was in great shape due to some new work and my other favorites Roller, Money Shot, and Old School were perhaps a bit rougher than I remember them being when I rode there last in June 2021 but still fun. I enjoy the more natural, rough trails so a few more roots are fine with me. Skyline and Cavalier (The Fall) were also in good shape and fun for me even though a drop on Skyline was closed. The jumps on Jump Line were in good shape too.

I did ride one lap each of Switchcraft and Riverside as well and they seemed fine to me but they are not really my jam so maybe I’m just not riding them fast enough to notice any issues? The run in for the large drops in the skills are near the bottom of Switchcraft were too overgrown to hit the drops but, again, not my jam so a non issue for me.

Claire did not hang about at all on the shuttle duties so it was non stop laps!

5 Likes

Recieved more rain than realized last night. Lots of standing pools in low spots at Mac Run.

The secret trails in Shubie are going to need some cleanup. I will probably head in tomorrow with my bucksaw for a couple of larger trees but it’s mostly brush and branches. Oh, and the occasional Fiona Crab Apple :grinning:.

2 Likes

Railyard is devastated really sad to see the level of damage.

From @Joel_Peterson on Facebook.

4 Likes

As per the folks at MRWA when I asked how long the trail might be closed:

“We need to do an inspection and address hazards before they can be reopened. Quite a few trees are down or posing a hazard, might be a few days.”

2 Likes

Any word on the trail systems?

Glasgow Hills on PEI is closed. I just got back on site an hour ago. The chainsaws are going to get quite the work out.

1 Like

Took a hike into Whopper.
I cleared all of Scotch on the rocks, and most of Domininator. Someone else had previously cleared the uphill/survey line area of dominator, Dominionator extension and Escarpment. I Didn’t have the energy to go further after clearing 14 trees and a lot of downed branches. Still a lot of debris on the trail so be careful and there is still a tree down in Domininator that was too big for my bow saw.

6 Likes

Thanks!

14 trees sounds like it was a mess.

It was really patchy, there’d be a few trees down in one area, then none for a while then a few more and so on. 14 trees sounds more impressive than it really was, most were rotten, a few were thinner than my arm and a couple I was able to break up with a few kicks or by jumping on them.
I ran into a rider who said that Flipside was mostly clear, but that the downed trees were not major. If I ever get my wheel back from the shop I’ll take my saw with me on my next ride.

6 Likes

Sorry about the wonky post