Flat pedal help

Hi I’m looking to get some new pedals. wondering what Pedals you guys use and what u think of em or a recommendation of what pedals to get

2 Likes

RaceFace Chester… grippy, tough, light, under $100.

4 Likes

Get clipped in!

2 Likes

Race Face Chester- sealed axle, replaceable pins, great colour selection.

3 Likes

+1 for raceface chesters. Mine have taken a beating but still going strong. MEC has a couple colours on sale for $50.

5 Likes

If you wanted to go all in, I’d say check out the Chromag Daggas. They are absolutely insane, nice wide platform to allow for a variety of different stances and the most grip I’ve ever saw on a pedal. Lots of nice anodized colours. Super durable, double seal, inner bushing and outer cartridge bearing.

That being said, they are on the pricier side for sure. I was lucky enough to trade coffee for mine.

Disclaimer : I do have a slight affiliation with Chromag, but otherwise they are still my favourite little business in the industry.

2 Likes

I’ve got the deity t-mac’s which in my opinion are the cats ass, not cheap but my feet have never slipped and no issues with the bearings

1 Like

Another vote for the Raceface Chesters. Great quality at an affordable price, the black plastic doesn’t really show wear and tear like an aluminum body pedal does, and they are thin and light so they don’t have a lot of mass or momentum when they inevitably smuck you in the shin.

3 Likes

Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill Edition
One of the few if not only World Cup Champs to win on flats… Not to mention Enduro champ 3 years in a row :+1:

1 Like

Been on the old Shimano Saints for years and thought they were good but now got DMR V12s on my hardtail and find them way grippier.

Shoes matter too. I ride 510s.

1 Like

Like @David_NZ says 5.10s make a big difference- they are crazy grippy. My pedal of choice has been the original Kona Wah Wah pedals for a long time but they’re now discontinued and I don’t dig the new version. Once my current pedals start to go I’ve only got one rebuild kit then it’s time to find something new. Maybe the Chesters…

1 Like

Best pedals I have used

2 Likes

Lots of nice composite pedals out there now. I’ve had good luck with Deity Compounds! I am currently waiting on a set of Crank Brothers Stamp 1s… will see how they are. They are on sale at MEC for $50.

Anybody remember Brooklyn Machine Works pedals circa 2005 or so??

2 Likes

I always like the look and grip of the Kona Wah Wah II’s but then again, nothing beats being snapped snugly in some clipless SPD’s. If you are riding a hardtail or XC bike, then clipless should be considered IMO.

For the people saying to make sure to get some 510’s I’ve got a pair and I should have been more specific I’m looking for a pair of aluminum flats that will last a long time and have pin and bearing rebuild kits

Yeah I’m looking into them look very good. Not many/ any review vids on YouTube so could be a good vid idea like a long term review if u are bored with the lockdown stuff

1 Like

I’m on it :grin:

1 Like

You should check out the Chromag Daggas closely! They have rebuild kits (sold separate), and come with a bunch of spare pins.
“ The Dagga is our brand new DH pedal. It was designed in collaboration with Chris Kovarik – one of the forefathers of downhill and flat pedal riding. Kovarik’s unique and high impact riding style inspired the Dagga’s key features – our largest platform and widest stance ever.”
They’re as hardcore and rugged as it gets

1 Like

I don’t like how thick the Chesters are–definitely prefer the narrower profile and design of the OneUp composites. The Chesters look and feel cheap. OneUp gear has been absolutely flawless and well supported in my experience. My next pedals will be their aluminum units. The design is awesome. They’re also $60 less than the Chromags.

Undoubtedly, the Daggas would be a great pedal as well, but I prefer a more subtle use of graphics than Chromag generally brings to their components.

3 Likes

What really sold me on the daggas is how the platform is a bit spaced from the crank arm, I always hated hugging the crank arms and rubbing on them. Something something Q factor

2 Likes