Granite Fondo 2021 - NEW DATE Sun Nov 14

The Granite Fondo is here!!! MRWA is excited to hold what we hope is the first of an annual social MTB ride event on the singletrack trails! Come on out for a day of great riding and mingling on Saturday, November 13, 2021.

Sign-in is at 10:00 am at Hartlen Park. Proof of full vaccination and photo ID required. The first wave of riders will start around 10:30am.

Let us know you are coming! Say you are ‘going’ by Nov 11! Either email mcintoshrun@gmail.com or on the Facebook event page. We need this information to manage the rides and BBQ.

Donation in lieu of Fees We ask that each participants donates $40. This will be used to support Phase 2 trail building efforts next year. Please e-transfer to mcintoshrun@gmail.com. We will also accept credit cards and cash on-site.

ROUTE OPTIONS!

34km: Ride nearly all the sanctioned McIntosh trails, some in both directions. Includes expert trails. Led by Kaarin Tae, Mackenzie Myatt and Artur Sagat. Passes NER Feed Zone at 10.5km, 19km and 25.5km. Major regroup at 19km to avoid two-way traffic on Granitude. Route on Trailforks
21km: Mostly blues (some dark blues), no black trails. NER Feed Zone at 7km and 13.5km. Led by Catherine-Anne Murray. Route on Trailforks
10km: Super fun front country greens and blues, down to Flat Lake. Led by MRWA prez, Alice Morgan. Route on Trailforks.

MORE DETAILS!

BBQ! Cavicchis Meats, will be at Hartlen Park after the ride. Have a tasty grillable while you warm up, reminisce, and share your ride exploits.
Feed Zone by NER! The North End Runners are graciously staging a calorie reload stop at the Run bridge for the 21km and 34km route options. Who knows what these runners have planned for cyclists?!
Parking. Note there is no parking at St Michael’s church. We recommend parking at the Lions Rink trail parking area and riding to Hartlen, or parking elsewhere in Spryfield (where it’s legal) and riding to the trails. Also we can park at Herring Cove Community Dentistry, 303 Herring Cove Road. We are permitted to use their lot for this event only.
Pace and Guides. The guides will keep a social, chill pace. If you are new to these trails, we recommend you stay close to a guide. This event is a great opportunity to have a guided ride of the trails if you are new to the area. You need significant MTB experience as the none of the routes are good for novice riders.
Presented and led by Mackenzie Myatt who has raced her bike all over the world as a member of the National Team and is aiming for the next Olympic cycle, and by Kaarin Tae, former Elite National Champion, MRWA volunteer trailbuilder and organizer, and instrumental in developing multiuser nonmotorized trails in general across HRM by volunteering at HRTA.
Our Helpers. This event is possible because of help from the North End Runners, ECMTB, Cavicchis Meats, Cyclesmith, and NS-DNR, HRM Parks and others who continue to work with MRWA on land access for the trails. Thanks everyone!
The fine print. Ride at own risk. 16y and over only; any one younger must be accompanied by parent or guardian. This is a social ride, not a fully supported event. Please have what you need to be self-supported in case you need to turn around.

Sounds fun, but I’m a runner/hiker/snowshoer! We’re all about multi-user (feet and bikes!), but one step at a time. Hopefully next year there will be a similar community trail run event too!

16 Likes

I am so down for this. Or is it so UP for this?? Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday and raise money for our favorite cause.

9 Likes

You had me at Caviccis Meats and BBQ. Is it ok if I set up a tent rather than driving home post BBQing and beering?

5 Likes

This event has been moved to Sunday Nov 14 to avoid the rain.

11 Likes

The three route options are now on Trailforks and linked in the original post above.

Also updated parking info.

3 Likes

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

RSVP extended until 8pm.

Any stragglers out there that haven’t shown intent by Facebook. Click on “Going”

Let your friends know.

3 Likes

You can also send an email to mcintoshrun@gmail.com to say you will be there. Again cutoff is 8pm tonight.

2 Likes

I just checked in on FB. Sent event dues as well. Password granitefondo

@DEBO we aren’t handling the payments. You may want to flip that password to the email address above.

1 Like

Also, I believe MRWA wants the password to be ‘trails’ for ease of sorting through a bunch of EMTs

5 Likes

Reached 100 sign-ups!

14 Likes

That’s awesome!!

1 Like

Damn it. I didn’t realize I had to register by 8pm. Is it too late?

1 Like

For you we can make an exception! You might not get a sausage though…
email mcintoshrun@gmail.com

2 Likes

Just a head’s up that the North End Runners really have the Feed Zone dialed. Might be a few surprises…

Consider doing the 34k just so you can hit this 3 times!

4 Likes

awesome. Just sent the fee. See everyone tomorrow

1 Like

Wicked event! Thank you MRWA, Cavicchi’s Meats, NorthEnd Runners, Cyclesmith and all the volunteers. Let’s do that again!

23 Likes