Hacks and bodges!

That is pretty much what the Mavic bikes had in the Tour de France this year so riders could adjust the seat on their temporary spare.

1 Like

plasti-dip to finish! Great hack. Thought of something similar for an old LEV I have here. Iā€™m not much of an up/down during the ride adjuster person with these magical posts, so under the saddle is perfect. Pretty sure thatā€™s a perfect space for a tube, co2 and lever as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Park Tool Beer Holder BH-1 by Douglas Smith, on Flickr

6 Likes

Mmmmmm. Good beer!

I thought that was a standard feature!

Good idea Adam, plastidip would work great!

My newest set by Douglas Smith, on Flickr

Theses are the Craig Crockers by Douglas Smith, on Flickr

3 Likes

Bike Hack by Douglas Smith, on Flickr

6 Likes

Making the best of things I see!

1 Like

bump!

Round 2 of mods on mods on the drooper postā€¦ I wanted one for my big bike but was having issues finding one that wasnā€™t too long. Bring out the hack saws and files! Removed the air valve, associated seals, lower bushing and cut off about 50mm off the outer tube.

Itā€™s now a fully manual dropper postā€¦ well one step above the old school telescoping posts that Axiom, titec and a few others sold.

With no air chamber it does not come up on itā€™s own but, I donā€™t care, this works great for the use.

Length is now perfect and I can get full pedalling height. When dropped it is lower than my old fixed post. I also ditched the small block road cassette for a wider range (11-32) and riding this up the logging roads at my local free ride trail is pretty easy now. #gamechanger

8 Likes

My homemade rim rods for precisely calculating ERD. I made these for two reasons; 1) published ERD is almost always wrong, and 2) I build wheels to very exact tolerances, this leads back to number 1. The rods were simple to make. I took two 295mm Sapim Leader spokes, treated the threads with red loctite and installed the nipple, then cut them at the elbow and used a file to take them down to 290mm. I used the nipple I prefer to build with, the Sapim Polyax 12 mm. The nipple is tightened until the tip of the spoke reaches the bottom of the screw slot. That way Iā€™m calculating spoke length for optimum thread engagement.

2 Likes

3 plugs one hole

6 Likes

Quiet the plant stemming there!

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, I have been considering putting a larger range cassette on my Aurum to make it more capable. I think Iā€™ll give it a whirl!

1 Like

She still keeps the moisture out! Dust makes it in above the o ring but never had much in the name of water sneak in!

1 Like

Hereā€™s my contribution, though I canā€™t take credit for thinking of it- locking ring from a grip repurposed as an axle spacer.

7 Likes

^ ^ Wonder if the axle gets good clamping force still? Those Maxles expand right near the end donā€™t they? Either way good bodge!

This one is the older style Maxle 360QR that expands at both ends I think this one was from a Domain or Totem. Seems pretty solid. I appreciate the thought tho! Honestly at some point I should just pick up the proper one.

1 Like

Soooo I was too cheap to buy a tailgate pad and figured Iā€™d try to make a rack for my truck. The length of the bed and bikes worked out almost too well.

14 Likes

The dude has been asking for a mudguard, I havenā€™t gotten around to buying him one yet, so I made him one out of some old Tire packaging-2 zip tied together then zip tied to the fork.

11 Likes