Hacks and bodges!

Bought a Kogel preload adjuster, but it’s about 1.5mm narrower than the stock plastic one, so it barely had enough threads engaged and didn’t sound healthy under load. Hacked the flange off the bottom of a cassette carrier from some old packaging and used a file to get the I.D. close enough to 30mm to work as a temporary spacer. Worked alright for a few rides but it was a bit too thick, and the tolerances… varied. Picked up three nylon spacers at Bike Pedaler that are a perfect fit and should do the trick.

The Kogel adjuster came with a threaded ring that they said can be installed after removing the stock threaded ring on the crank spindle, but as far as I can tell the threads on my Turbine crankset are machined onto the crank. The threaded adapter ring probably would have made the spacer unnecessary, but I’ll save it in case I decide to upgrade the current crankset.

4 Likes

Love it!

Cut a broken plastic bottle cage down to a solid centre piece, spaced it out with a couple presta nuts, and it makes for a perfect little spot for a spare tube or spare banana. (Both of which also work as frame protectors in rock gardens, albeit with mixed success.)

6 Likes