Question about trailforks

What are the ethics of posting trails on trailforks? Found this system the other day which seems to be maintained by someone, although I’m not sure who. It needs some brush clearing but that’s about it. They’re definitely moto trails though, theres a good mix of mac run style granite and bowater-esque loam.

Looks interesting.

1 Like

Here are the “trailheads” if you’re ever out my way (Hubley): Dreamcatcher (44.6790605, -63.8248104)
Crossing (44.6801554, -63.8333988)

Unsanctioned trails = no rules or ethics.

1 Like

Kinda what I figured

I don’t actually think that should be how it is, but its where we are at imo.

1 Like

Curious to see what @bent6543 's opinions on this are

Ethics aside, why would you want to see them on Trailforks? Like you said, they are moto trails and have some unrideable parts as a result. I would guess that a lot of (most?) people wouldn’t enjoy riding them. There’s some fun stuff in there though.

Also, you are right about the brush clearing!

2 Likes

Fair point, I guess it’s coming from the fact that I’m pretty new to mtb and most likely never would have found those trails if I didn’t have the amount of free time I do. Also, I’ll go in there next week and do some brush/fallen log clearing. I haven’t had an rd sucked into the spokes yet but I think I bent the hanger on my dad’s Kona. I’ve also came very close to being lost before in those trails multiple times and I think having them on TF would help with that.

1 Like

Another thing to consider is that a lot of people (me included) either can not or would rather not drive to a trail. For instance, even though I could drive or bike to bowater why would I do that if there’s perfectly fine (if a bit wet) single track down the road? I also am too young to drive so it’s at least 1hr of riding each way.

2 Likes

Dude, I used to bike from South End Halifax (Queen St area) to Kearney Lake for a real trail experience and would think nothing of biking up and around Pockwock from there. Tap that sense of adventure that MTB is based upon. Not saying your experience has to duplicate mine, but if you are in that area, Bowater isn’t really that far away.

6 Likes

haha, I understand that but especially in the winter when the trail gets muddy it’s a bit of a pain to go 20km just for some singletrack. I definitely have tapped that given how many off map trails I know of around Hubley but I get that 20km is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

2 Likes

You can get to Bowater from the St. Margaret’s Bay Trail. If you want to crush logging road miles Bowater is great for that too.

1 Like

I know, but my parents also probably wouldn’t want me to go alone and my dad is a bit slow haha

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking of, take the tracks as far as bowater. I did a lot of exploring north of hubley as well back in the day but I think it is all houses now.

2 Likes

What do you mean by north of Hubley? I’m always game for more exploring haha

Well, basically in the area of Everwood Avenue there used to be doubletrack trails to explore. Back in the early 90s I used to research trails by looking at out of date topo maps at the library. Would also get air photos from some government office on Hollis street. A book called cross country ski routes of ns published in the 70s or 80s led me to the trails around timberlea etc. Lots of fun.

3 Likes

It’s changed so much now. Sharing trails with people is some kind of evil I don’t understand. I’m sure I will be educated once again. Lolz.

3 Likes

c’mon man, you used to be the only reason people knew where trails were haha

3 Likes

I can give you the dirt road tour when things dry up, if you like.

2 Likes