Spring Trail Conditions

We were there on Saturday. Had a good ride. Great trail. Kudos to the TrailFlow crew. I helped build a section of that trail a few years ago. Stoked to ride it again. Yes, we went through the “more difficult” section too, and it was a muddy, watery mess at the top of it for about 100 m. Looks like that section is under construction. The rest of the trail was in great shape.

Thank Eric.

The land owner Glenn has been doing most of the new trial work. TrailFlow was in this spring doing some basic mapping, bridge work on a major wet section and we did the new trail head area.

Your right that the “more diffucult” section is not compleate. I have some ideas on how to “fix” the wet spot on it next time TrailFlow is in working on the system. A re-route may be in order for a large portion of that loop along with a few bridges/ armoured sections. I expect we’ll be back next spring to do some more work or sooner if the avbma comes in to some money.

Spider Lake, March 30, 2012: Still a bit soft. Rode Main Road, Inner Peace, Humps, Six Pack and Replicator. Inner Peace and parts of Main Road still quite soft. Six Pack, Humps and Replicator are open to more sun and wind and were a bit drier.

hey thanks for the update. i was going to try to get up there this week, but maybe i’ll hold off and hope it doesn’t rain, to let it dry out a bit more.
back in the 90’s this was one of my main riding spots. i can’t wait to see the changes (good and bad). if anyone is up for a weekday am ride send me a message, i’d be riding from shubie.

Oh man. Would I love to. But I have grown up stuff to do. Prob just rock a quick road ride if I am not exhausted.
Have fun!

Road ride! Oh dear. Where’s the old Troy, and what have you done with him!

Whopper Dropper was in good condition yesterday (Sunday, April 1). 16 cars in the parking lot, so it was a popular spot. Rode Main Trail, powerlines and SusieQ. Not very wet at all. One big tree down on SusieQ.

My knees joints are a little sore today when I squat down and I may have a bruise where I fell over, but other than that, I feel great. When you bike year round, recovery time is nil. The power line trail was totally cool and segments of SusieQ were saweeeet!! I love mountain biking!!

I was out on some logging roads with my car gasp this weekend, they are drying up nicely and would be totally rideable without losing your rear tire in the muck.

Soon. The lack of snow this winter seems to have helped in trail rideability so far, but talking to a firefighter yesterday, there are frush fires all over HRM. I knew I smelled something the last few days!

Spider Lake was fairly dry last night. Much better than last Friday. We rode Inner Peace, humps, six-pack and Ribbon of Love.

what about skull trail? any report for there?

We didn’t do skull, but the 4wheeler trail up the middle is even quite good. Its a tiny bit soft, but not wet.

We did a portion of skull a week and a half ago. It was alot better than the front half. Alot of rock back that way, seems to drain fairlt well in most places.

Did Skull last week and is good .Probably do it again tomorrow.

rode spider lake for the first time in over 10 years today! thanks to all the trail builders, it was a blast. i rode in the old way that i knew, through the (now over grown) gravel pit and up the steep rocky climb to the powerlines, ther was some pretty big standing water there but once up onto the singletrack everything was pretty good, just a few greasey spots on the atv trails. rode (thanks to the gps) ribbon of love, inner peace, humps and skull. totally loving it, i cheered out loud a couple of times. the bike isn’t even dirty. i’ll definitely be riding there more this year to check out some of the trail i have tracklogs for but skipped.

i can’t believe how things have changed, the clear cutting is crazy, you used to feel like you were miles from nowhere back there, now you can see the highway from the trail. another big thanks to the trail builders for rebuilding after that kind of destruction.

i had some fun on my way to spider lake thanks to some trail elves at lake charles, it was dry and rocky. although i wish i had put on the flat pedals for some of the sections, practically a trials course on the trail with the pink egg and decorated tree.

Spider Lake last night. Ran into 09man at the trailhead if anyone remembers him from the ecmtb days. Rode inner peace, ribbon, humps and sixpack, and traverse. Everything nice and dry except for the big puddles on the dirt road. Go ride!

Saweet! The old Concorde shall soon make an appearance!

CG and I rode Nine Mile River yesterday. Rode main trail, and “Hemlock Cathedral”, the loop that goes left off the main trail and comes around to meet the main trail at the pond at the end. Much of the trail is dry, but the muddy sections are very muddy. Hemlock Cathedral took about an hour and a half to get through. We walked a lot of it. Moderate-hard trail. No technical features like rock faces, big climbs or descents - just lots of rooty, soft at times, trail. Lots of leaves down and lost the trail at a few places, but it’s well-marked with red reflectors, yellow trail markers, and orange trail marker tape. Some deadfall here and there. CG and I cleared a few trees off the trail, but there are a few that will need a chainsaw or bucksaw.

CG and I rode Nine Mile River yesterday. Rode main trail, and “Hemlock Cathedral”, the loop that goes left off the main trail and comes around to meet the main trail at the pond at the end. Much of the trail is dry, but the muddy sections are very muddy. Hemlock Cathedral took about an hour and a half to get through. We walked a fair amount of it. Moderate-hard trail. No technical features like rock faces, big climbs or descents - just lots of rooty, soft at times, narrow singletrack trail. Not a well-travelled trail - lots of leaves down and lost the trail at a few places, but it’s well-marked with red reflectors, yellow trail markers, and orange trail marker tape. Some deadfall here and there. CG and I cleared a few trees off the trail, but there are a few that will need a chainsaw or bucksaw.

What about an axe? I LOVE my axe!
Is it possible to drain/armour the bad spots reasonably well?