Strava douche on 24

great have fun, i hope you like it, that is what the whole group of builders want.

2 Likes

It was more of an information finding mission, I found what I was looking for after the first few posts, but I’m glad to have had such a constructive conversation otherwise.

1 Like

#streishandeffect

1 Like

Regardless of anyone’s opinions about anything here, it all circles back to this simple point : “ Don’t put segments there and don’t ride it in the wrong direction is the only thing that has ever been asked”

These are simple requests fellas. The reason has got lost behind all of the opinions and voices who didn’t put years of sweat, blood, and love into these lines of dirt and rock. But the reason for these requests are even simpler than the requests themselves : for safety (if you think youre tough for riding up a downhill section with jumps then try riding up riverside at keppoch with a pack of riders coming down, sounds smart right? The same thing can happen on line 24. Its for safety. Do you pass on a hwy in oncoming traffic because you think that lane is funner? Are you self entitled enough to ride that lane just because you want to and the big meanies asked you not to? Grow up)

How hard is it to not post something on strava? Do you want people to come tear down the trail? Have you noticed how vanilla all the trails are in HRM? All it takes is one person who doesn’t know their limits to need a helivac to pick their broken bones off the trail and its gone for good.

Its really sad to see how a bunch of children are ignoring simple requests made by people who built the trail. i don’t care how the requests are made and if you disagree with the method they were made, the requests are made with the better intention of the future of this trail. Its no secret where it is, go fucking ride it and enjoy it for what it is. Just dont put it on the internet with a big fucking neon sign and ride it safely, not towards danger. Wow, really hard to understand.

At the end of the day this is a trail that is unsanctioned and we want to keep it around. Thats it. We. Like. To. Ride. This. Trail. Putting it on strava and riding it dangerously jeopardizes the future of this trail. People enjoy riding this trail. It’s fun as hell. We want people to be able to continue riding this trail. Dont be selfish and try to use it respectfully so it will still be there. Have you ever considered the reason a builder is so stringent with these rules is because they want a future for this trail, maybe even a GASP sanctioned future?! Seriously guys lighten up and use your head.

4 Likes

Why? Why do you think you feel the need to police strava so much if you hate it?
I was wondering why a couple rides with my 8 year old little girl were flagged lately, we were too fast and too dangerous I guess.
For someone who hates strava so much, you must spend a TON of time on it to be able to find all of these trail abusers, how do you do it, you have a list of segments you will tackle daily and just go on a flagging rampage? Or do you single out specific people and review all of their rides to make sure no cycling injustice was performed?

Like I said before, you bring this on yourself with your behavior towards others, maybe just leave people alone.

8 Likes

I have used Strava for years but mostly for tracking ride times and distance covered.
I have created some segments on trails I have worked on and segments can give you a look at how you are doing compared to previous efforts or against others. but I confess I am not fully understanding why segments create problems over and above having your ride tracked in general?

I have always felt concerns about the traffic up the jump line to be a valid point. Signage and education go a long way in that regard and I think we are in a better place today?

2 Likes

if only there was a website or app that was dedicated to identifying trail segments and the direction they are meant to be ridden.

4 Likes

I’m just going to keep posting this until it sinks in.

“ At the end of the day this is a trail that is unsanctioned and we want to keep it around. Thats it. We. Like. To. Ride. This. Trail. Putting it on strava and riding it dangerously jeopardizes the future of this trail. People enjoy riding this trail. It’s fun as hell. We want people to be able to continue riding this trail. Dont be selfish and try to use it respectfully so it will still be there. Have you ever considered the reason a builder is so stringent with these rules is because they want a future for this trail, maybe even a GASP sanctioned future?! Seriously guys lighten up and use your head”

3 Likes

I don’t really buy the trail safety thing, as there are new features on L24 that have jumps landing directly on the return climb.
Its a 2 way trail system, just like most of Mac Run now as well, which sees much more traffic, so stop being so dramatic about it.

3 Likes

At the end of the day this is a trail that is unsanctioned and we want to keep it around. Thats it. We. Like. To. Ride. This. Trail. Putting it on strava and riding it dangerously jeopardizes the future of this trail. People enjoy riding this trail. It’s fun as hell. We want people to be able to continue riding this trail. Dont be selfish and try to use it respectfully so it will still be there. Have you ever considered the reason a builder is so stringent with these rules is because they want a future for this trail, maybe even a GASP sanctioned future?! Seriously guys lighten up and use your head

1 Like

The statement was just to show the pure ridiculousness of this situation. I ride this trail network on a regular basis and use Strava but I have had no issues with not making my rides here public. It was an easy ask and because someone else built and maintained the trails I have no problem complying. It is not my place to do anything to take away the trail.

3 Likes

Has anyone died on this trail yet?

1 Like

I broke my cheek bone, cracked my orbital floor and got a severe concussion, while wearing a full face helmet. This isn’t the green trail everyone is used to in HRM. Mind you this could happen on any trail, but the inherent risks are there should you try. Would someone need to die on this trail for the safety requests to be respected? Is that the cost of consideration these days?

1 Like

IMO the way you guys are whining about this, I was just assuming there have been multiple fatalities already.

Thanks for clearing it up though.

9 Likes

That makes no sense. In fact, using Strava to show how popular a trail is IS how some trails become sanctioned. Land owners don’t need Strava to know you are building. I can tell you already HRM knows you are there. Without Strava. SMH

2 Likes

I know everyone has different skill levels, but L24 is not an advanced trail, its got some jumps (which are fairly small) and a couple drops, but nothing crazy at all, so if people are used to riding whopper, evil Birch, Fight, then L24 is very much a green trail.
Its mostly rolling, wide open trail on a pipeline, which is why those bastard “racers” like to go fast there I guess, which is terrible, people wanting to go fast on bikes, horrible.

I’m NOT knocking it, its fun, but its not dangerous, or any more dangerous than any other trail around here. You guys are being way too dramatic about it, and are bringing this push back on yourselves.
Just let it go, its not a trail that sees high traffic, I don’t see all these huge risks that threaten the trails existence.
Its build on public lands, in the open, you can see it form the road in many locations, you are never going to be able to control the public’s use of it, or the use of an open platform to capture people riding it. So leave people alone, stop harassing people and bringing attention to yourselves, unless that is exactly what you want, which is possible I guess.

10 Likes

Am i the only one who has no clue where this line 24 even is or what system lol
Is it taboo to ask where it is haha?

2 Likes

Its off of the main trail in Shubie Park. Totally accessible to anyone. This is so ridiculous.

4 Likes

Like i said, Strava can be used to have trails sanctioned. Right now, there’s a huge tract of land in that area that could be developed into more trail. If you guys stopped being so territorial and started working with everyone, we could be approaching Steve Streatch about having trails built in the area, or seeking permissions. Instead, you keep messing with the metrics, to our detriment. No one questions that Jay builds great trail, and it would be awesome if he and his crew were able to build legitimately.

7 Likes

Our whining about it has possibly prevented multiple serious injuries. People used to (still do) climb up a berm that has a jump at the top of it. Many people seem eager to catch a bottom bracket in the teeth. You have to realize this has been an evolving issue for over 5 years now, with kind requests being met with self entitled sneers, with signage being broken and trashed, with multiple hours of hard work rammed into the ground by misuse and carelessness. All people see is the straw that broke the camels back but there’s been tons of straws and many attempts at diplomacy.

At the end of the day this is a trail that is unsanctioned and we want to keep it around. Thats it. We. Like. To. Ride. This. Trail. Putting it on strava and riding it dangerously jeopardizes the future of this trail. People enjoy riding this trail. It’s fun as hell. We want people to be able to continue riding this trail. Dont be selfish and try to use it respectfully so it will still be there. Have you ever considered the reason a builder is so stringent with these rules is because they want a future for this trail, maybe even a GASP sanctioned future?! Seriously guys lighten up and use your head

2 Likes