Studding tires...help me choose my canvas

Thanks for the pics, Spin. The Anvils look familiar, since I’ve got a set of those as well. I started by studding only the wide end of the knob, but found the tire slipped around a bit, so I studded the other end of each knob as well, and they work well now. I don’t have the side knobs studded like you do.

what tires work great for studding ?

I don’t really have any spares i cna use on my old bike because it takes a pretty narrow tire…it’s a 1995-1996 Raleigh

also want some fairly inexpensive

You can get kenda kenitics at canuck tire for about $15 each, they work half decent for studding.

Any tire with reasonably large tread blocks works well.

are the Canuk tire ones fairly narrow… from Kenda’s site they seem to be 2.35… or do they run narrow

I can get a 2.35 on the fornt but I don’t beleive I’ll have the clearence in the back with studs added and my weight compressing the tire

smallguy, lemme look around and see if I can dig up some good
free studworthy tires. If not, we used to sell some cheap
studworthy tires, used to stock them for no reason other than to
stick screws into, Anvils I think they were called.

smallguy, lemme look around and see if I can dig up some good free studworthy tires. If not, we used to sell some cheap studworthy tires, used to stock them for no reason other than to stick screws into, Anvils I think they were called.

Awesome Thank you

He really is awesome. Today is hug day but I went by the shop before it opened so I couldn’t go in a give him any love.
How many screws do you plan on using Matt?

well I was reading this post on another forum and the guy recommened screws on the sides not the middle lugs and 25 per side per tire so 50 total

bikeforums.net/showthread.ph … dded-Tyres

I think I have 186 screws in each tire that I made last year.
I just drilled out the hole with a small drill bit and then screwed in the screw.
I then wrapped duct tape around the heads and so far so good no flats and excellent traction.
Me and the Jims were tearing up the lakes last year and it was like being velcroed to the ground.
I think I have pics some where of the tires.
Show us your when you are done will you!!

what kind of Screws did you use?

I’m thinking that 50 might be ok for trails but not on lakes… might have to up the anti and pull a Tim ‘the toolman’ Taylor

If you don’t use washers then the screws will eventually work through the tire.

Screws = meh. Studs = betterd. Less wear and less chance of going sideways through the treads when compressed.

Kenda Anvils are still available for around $20 full pop at your LBS. Great big paddles for snow that are think enough to hold lots of studs. I’m planning on grabbing a couple and studding them up for some grabby good times on the luge runs this year.

I can’t remember what I used exactly Matt. I just went to the hardware store looked for what I thought might work well based on the tire I was studding. I bought a couple of different types just to experiment until I found one that was suitable.
Don’t worry about the washers either. If you do it properly you wont need them. Besides the screws will be well worn by the time they are ready to pull from the tire. Sure you may lose one or two but that is normal wear and tear.
True, real studs are better, but with screws you will look like an exrtra from the Mad Max movie!!

I might do the stud thing still if I can track down a box

Troy how heavy are your mad max creations?

check out the local tire shops or napa for studs if you want to go that way. About 70.00 for 1000 studs.

Or offer me something for the half box or so I have!!!

With so many screws in each tire you would think there would be some serious weight. Lucky for me I had a very light set of Michelin Wild Grippers lying around that were begging for a screwing.
I am very impressed with the weight to performance factor of these tires.
They are a lot of fun to make.

I called napa they have them for 62 + taxes for a box

i’m thiking 250 studs per tire since I’ll be making 4 tires… I think it will work out just fine

but Mike I might barter u some beer for your half box or so and go with 300 poer tire for more power…lol

Ahhhh the old barter system, still works for me!!!

DANG Troy! Them’r some naysty tires! Watch your toes folks!

They sure keep the doggies motivated to run faster!!